Gear help

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Wil, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    im just now gettin really into catfishing and i was wondering what i could get at cabelas for less than 150 dollars. right now ive just got a light reel with a medium rod and it works ok but i want a catfish rig. something for catfish and nothing else. any info would be greatly appreciated

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Go to our sponsor Catfish Connection and get an Abu 6500c3 baitcaster and an Ugly stik tiger m/h and boom you are there and a little left over for some hooks, sinkers, swivels.

3. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    don't know about cabalas' but you could try Ebay ...just type in fishing ..go to freshwater ...go to rod and reel combos...i've gotten several good deals all under $35

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you go to cabellas or bass pro they usualy have some good combos for a good price. I got a nice Catfish Ugly Stick rod and reel combo from bass pro for about $40.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Are You Familiar With Cabela's Bargain Cave, It's On The Net Plus They Send Me Out Flyers That Are Similiar But The Net Has More Stuff.

I Think What You'll Find Is That Whatever Type Of Gear You Are Relatively Familiar With, As Well As Comfortable & Finally That You Can Afford Will Give You Great Enjoyment.

I Mostly Use Large Spinners Equppied With 20 To 30 LB Test Line With Heavier Shock Leaders. Most Of My Rods Are 7' To 8' Long Med. & Heavy Action.

Don't Get Caught Up In A Bunch Of Hype From manufactures, Listen To All The Members Here And You'll Do Well. One last Thing Don't Forget About Garage Sales & E-Bay.

Have A Good Day, Elliot

6. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Check out the for sale section at the top of page. No I don't have anything listed.

7. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Wil you can pick up a Penn 209 bait caster on Ebay for around 30-40 bucks. They last for ever and will serve your catfish needs. A word of caution, if you are not familiar with bait casters they take a little getting use to. I'd recommend a Zebco 808 or something in the spincast line that you are familiar with. Then when you are ready jump on a bait caster reel. If you are going to Cabelas talk to the sales people about the difference in spin cast and bait cast, or check out the library here. Lots of good information free for the reading!
    Don

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

good job steering him to our sponser, KEEP YOUR MONEY LOCAL AND YOUR COMMUNITY STAYS STRONG.:eek:oooh: :eek:oooh:

9. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I don't know about cabelas, but I recently bought 2 tidewater reels with 7 ft. ugly stick rods at wal-mart. It was about $150 for both of em and I love them.

10. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'm with Cat_Hunter. You can't go wrong with catfish connection, especially since they specialize in catfishing gear!

11. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey i looked at cabelas.com in the summer sale and found some good bargains
    you can get king kat spinning reels for 14.99 for smaller or 19.99 for the bigger
    then they have the king kat spinning rods and king kat pro spinning rods for 19.99 each anywhere from 6-10 feet
    the reg were 24.99 and the king kat pro were 39.99!! so half price
    good luck with whatever you find

12. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    im with Cat Hunter,abu 6500c3 with a tiger rod or a 7ft catfish series by ugly stik.catfish connection is quick and you will have your order in a couple days.the shipping and handling is cheaper than the gas to go to cabelas depending on how close you live.:0a26:

13. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    thanks, i went to the catfish connection and i was stunned by all the awsome deals, ive been on there for an hour just lookin at everything. lol