gear help

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by whittle#6, Oct 16, 2009.

1. whittle#6

whittle#6 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I got invited to do some night crappie fishing with my brother. when we went out on his boat. We threw out our lines for crappie and got settled. then he throws out a couple of bigger poles for catfish. He brought in the first then let me bring in the second. #12 channel cat. I WAS HOOKED:smile2:.
    I know what i got won't bring in the bigguns. so i ask you the experenced ones. what kind of rod ,reel, line, leader and hook should i get? I have to fish on a bank since i ain't got no boat. i'll be fishing the wabash if it helps.

2. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    If you don't want to spend a lot of $$$$ . Get a cheap MH rod and reel combo some 20lb berkley big game line. If i'am fishing for channels i'll put the weght on the bottom and the hook up about a foot. Try using some secret - 7 dip bait. You can get it from teamcatfish.com.

3. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    walmart sells good rods for catfishin. go get ya one of em, egg sinkers, CIRCLE hooks, and try chicken livers. when you use em, DONT mush em around. just gently hook em on your hook through tendons and such, cast out, take the slack off, and wait.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Ron. Those previous posts should help ya. :wink:

5. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    look around on this site some more before you post too many questions you will get plenty of answers you didnt know you were even looking for. There are many answers to you questions and you can find them all I use a Penn Persuit 7 foot rod rated for 15-25lb test and an Okuma Avenger Baitfeeder but I started out a few years ago with a 30$ Tica Spinmaster combo that I still use. So go to wally world and look for something that will hold a larger line like 20lb buy it take the cheap line off it spool it with some trilene big game and go fishing. I use cut chub minnows and I would argue its the worlds best bait for channels (in my area) Go out there and let us know how you did

6. Cowtip

Cowtip New Member

State:
    texas
    WELCOME!!!:big_smile:

7. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC Ron!:big_smile:

8. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    ill tell ya, if you want some good line and are willin to spend a little extra, go wit berkleys fireline. 14lb test is 6lb diameter and about 20lb strength. the 20lb is 8lb diameter and 25-30lb strength. i swear by it. but if you do, and buy a rod with it, keep 1/3 of th line on the rod, tie the fireline to it, and spool it up. when its on by itsself, it slips. doin it that way keeps that from happening. get you some 3/0 circle hooks and youll be set.

ps. WELCOME TO THE BOC BRO!!!

9. festus

festus New Member

Welcome to the BOC, Ron, you're from a great state and a great area for fishing. Get a 7' or 8' medium heavy Ugly Stick rod or something similar, along with a strong spinning reel capable of spooling on at least 200 yards of quality 20-30 lb. test line. I use cut bluegills and live or dead creek chubs for bait probably more than anything else. I really prefer live or dead shad or skipjack, but they're a little harder to obtain than the other baits in my area. Also large gobs of nightcrawlers, live or dead crawfish, raw shrimp, goldfish, mussel meat, or shiners will catch fish, along with countless other baits. Good luck.

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Welcome aboard Ron!:0a25:.You didn,t mention if you wanted to go spinning or casting?Either way,you can,t go wrong with an 8ft Uglycat in either spinning or casting.If spinning,I like the Cabelas saltstriker baitfeeder.If casting you can,t go wrong with an Abu 6500 to start.The sky,s the limit,depends on what you can afford.Either one of those options will get you in the game for around a $100.:wink:.

11. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    If you buy a new reel and it comes with a replacement spool made of some sort of plastic then spool braid onto that It worked for me and I nearly eliminated slipping. when the spool is made of metal and you dont have a replacement or backup do what this guy said.

12. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    first welcome to the B.O.C. yea i agree look into the library and archives its like an encyclopedia for catfishing. i was just like you last year and spent the winter studying and was surprised of my success in the spring. as for the equipment i have 2 uglystick catfish rods from wally world for like 30 bucks or so and respooled it with 25lb big game line. havent had a problem yet. hope this helps.....you came to the greatest catfish info hot spot ther will ever be lots of hall of fame info here!! thanks to all you catfish experts as well!!!

13. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, IL. Good luck.