Gear for timber fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by bwanatony, Jun 26, 2006.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hey All,
    Those pics of my son show the biggest fish (18-3) of the night.
    As soon as the clicker sang, I grabbed the rig and knew the fish was on, but something wasn't right. I pulled & she pulled back, but the line stayed in the exact same place.
    Three or four times I gained a few feet of line, then lost it back. Log.
    I am convinced that we never would have pulled that (relatively) small fish out of there with mere 20 or even 30 pound test.
    I checked my 60# Ande leader yesterday (remember, I use 8'-9' leaders) and it felt like tree bark between my fingers.
    Robert Ruark is famous for coining the phrase "Use enough gun".
    Well, I say "Use enough rod, reel, & line!"

My recipe:
    80-100# superbraid on the reel, Albright knot to 9' of 60# mono, slide on a small barrel swivel (with 10" of 12# mono for tying on the weight), bead, 150# barrel swivel, 12" 60# mono, big circle hook.
    Palomar knots on both ends of the barrel swivel, Uni-Knot in the hook eye.
    The braid lasts 3-4 years, and there's a lot of 9' pieces of 60# mono on a spool, so this setup is very economical, too.
    The thin diameter of the braid has way less drag in the current than heavy mono, too.

Pic of Albright knot attached, see the instructions at killroys.com/knots/albright.htm

Good fishing!

Attached Files:

2. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Thanks for the info Tony. I do have a question about the braid though. How do you spool it on your reel? Is it under constant tension? How hard is it for you to deal with birdnest? I purchased some Stren superbraid, and found it extremely difficult to deal with the birdnest. What's the magic formula?

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Vic,
    my Abu's have an adjustable brake that can be torqued down to prevent spool over-travel. Ironically, I have a much worse time backlashing with heavy mono because of the HORRIBLE memory the stuff has. Those coils just want to jump off the spool every time they get a chance. Braid, of course, has no memory at all.
    Tony

4. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I must have done something terribly wrong that day. ROTFLOL. What type of Abu's do you own, and just for the record (no pun) have you had an opportunity to look at the new Abu Record 60? I went to Bass Pro Saturday, and had an opportunity to look that thing over. I don't fish with Abu, but I would love to own that one. The drags are supposed to be better than any of the other offerings at almost 14 pounds of pressure at max setting! Sweet looking reel with a power handle to boot (got to have that power handle).

There is a review that I would like for you to read on the reel. Let me know what you think. I would post it here, but don't know if it would get pulled, so I will send it to you in a PM later. The guy at the shop recommended that you use braid on it because the line capacity is much less than the others. Man, if they made it in a lever drag I would be all over it! LOL!

5. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    I have 6500's and a 7000.
    I think they make a 7000 with a lever drag, and you can usually find lever drag reels with the "saltwater" equipment at Bass Pro.
    Another place with good prices, surprisingly, is Boater's World.
    Right now you can get a Garcia 6500 at Walmart for under $60, with tax.
    The 6500 will handle anything in this state...
    I'll look for info on the Record 60.

6. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    a trick i learned a long time ago to help lessen the backlashes, that we all know are only caused by casting into a strong wind. put a standard wieght sinker on your line ( whatever you rod is rated for) that will allow for the maximun casting distance. then pitch that puppy as far as you can. then peel off about 30- 40 more feet. at this point put a small piece of electrical tape across your spool, left to right. now, reel your line back in. this way the deepest birdsnest you will ever have to deal with will be just the distance of your longest cast. if perchance that big flattie takes more line that the tape allowed for, it will pull right off with the drag. That same trick works on spinning reels to keep the braid from burying into itself also.......works for me anyway......you guys didnt see me with any major backlashes the other night did you?

7. nightwing

nightwing New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Ok, I "think" I have enough gun.
    I have a 7ft heavy action bait caster/musky rod, with a 6500. I am pure rookie at this...I love fishing for big fish, and generaly fish carp all summer..but the idea of big cats has grown on me over the last couple of years.
    What do you guys think of Power Pro as a mainline...any other preferences? I of course want somethign that maximizes abrasion resistance, as braids often have a reputation for brute pulling strength, but relatively poor abbraision resistance.
    I use fireline on my carp rods, and have been very happy with that..but I feel that big cats require the "next level' of line.

8. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Nice Jon, real nice. Thanks for sharing that simple method. That is my only fear with the braid aside from it grooving your guides.

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Vic,
    I've been using 100# power pro on two of My reels an Abu 7000 and 10000 with excellent results. I actualy think that backlashes are less of a problem with braid versus mono. I've managed to pick out everyone I've gotten with the braid quite easily, guess its the zero memory thing.

not sure about the record 60 in a lever drag, but I recently bought a 7000 big game lever drag. All I can say is SWEET.....it's got 4 BB and is very smooth, casts a country mile, and has The new Abu carbon fiber drag washers in it. If You wanted to Try an Abu reel I would highly recomend the 7000 BGLD, its quickly becoming My favorite reel.

10. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Thanks for the info Brad. You guys are making a strong case for braid. LOL. I am a big fan of lever drag reels. I have three of them now (Penn 320LD and two Avets) and they relieve any anxieties that I may have with star drag systems. The Record 60 doesn't come in a lever, which is a shame. The reason probably is the 7000, which covers that market. However, I didn't know the 7000 had carbon drags. Thanks for the heads up...

11. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    make sure that your rods have stainless steel guides and you wont have the problem of grooved guides any more.

12. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Many of the New ceramic guides are impervious to the braided lines. Fuji Alconite guides and the SiC (silicone Carbide) and Silicone Nitrade II guides are All excellent choices for braided lines.

We've come along way with both Braided lines and guides from the guide grooving beginings of the super braids. isn't technology great!?!?!

13. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Those Avets Are FREAKIN' SWEET!!!!!! I sure wish that They made a level wind reel!!!! I'm sure that they perform as good as they look. Those bad boys are sharp, What model do ya use?

For those who have never seen these reels check out some serious hardware!!!!!
    http://www.avetreels.com/

14. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    This is it if i can't hold a fish with this ambassador 6000 with 50 pound gorilla and 30 pound spider wire and 7/0 hook than i should be afraid and i ant afraid to admit it

15. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Brad, I have the MXL in both the 4.5:1 and 6.3:1 gear ratios. One is red and the other one is blue. These reels are awesome! I was a little worried when I first got them because of the rate that the spool spins (in freespool it is lightning fast), but I have gotten used to them now. Yes, they are not levelwinds, but man they sure don't have to be! ROTFLOL. I lay the line back on just fine with my thumb. There is no special magic involved, and talking about a caster...if you were to put braid on it...well it would be scary. I would suggest wearing some type of gloves dealing with them though. I wear motorcross gloves when I fish with mine because you are always thumbing the line to control the cast. Sweet looking reels, and even sweeter performance. Even has hook keepers on the power handle. LOL.