Gear for the small eater catfish?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by countrycat15, Jul 3, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    :big_smile: hay guys,i was just wondering what kind of gear(rods,reels,line,ect) does every body use to catch small eater catfish(if u fish for the).reason im asking is because im thinking about getting a new setup for small cats(i was thinking mmaybe and abu 5000 or 4600)what do u guys think.

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I use one of the Zebco Rhino 733 combos that you can buy at Wal Mart for 20 or 30 dollars spooled with 14 pound Cajun Red Cast line. Great cheap combo that hasnt failed me so far, and the rod is perfect for circle hooks if you use them.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

thats sounds oretty good and you can't go wrong with a 33 either. the reels you mentioned will work very well for small to medium large fish.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A cheep 5-6 lb.weight fly rod with a ultra-lite to lite spinning or spin cast reel will let bream and frying size cats fight like a giant.I found that a Zebco Slab Seeker 12' Telescopic 5 section rod with a spinning or under spin reel works great.With it's 3' collapsed length it was great for fishing along bushy creek or river banks and as a carry along rig.It will stow out of the way most anywhere. For fun fishing,give them a try.peewee-williams

5. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    great posts guys,thanks for the advice peewee,i have thought about using my ultralight for the cats im catching but some of them weigh 10 pounds or more and im not sure i can get them in on an ultralight but im thinking bout gettin an abu 5000.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Please keep us up to date if you get the new rig.We all learn from each other.peewee-williams

7. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Got a deal on A Shimano Stradi 2000FG & a 6 1/2ft Cape Fear in a close out at a boat shoe last winter. Spooled with 6 lb. test transition line and small hooks its just right for small cats. I'm always finding more small fish than throphys anyway. Have landed a few good size cats in open water. Depends on where I'm fishing to what equi. I have out. Always got a big boy out loaded for bear, just in case !

8. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    that ambassadeur 5000 or 4600 would be great. it would handle those smaller ones easily and if you got a nice cat hooked up you would have a chance with them also. i have missed alot of nice fish due to equipment malfunction. you never know when the big ones are going to bite and when they do i want to land them. i assume you fell the same.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    for smaller cats i like a nice spinning reel. I usually use a Mitchel 300x. It retails for around 30 bucks and i landed a 25 pound flattie with it this spring. That with a 8 foot rod with lots of action is my favorite setup. i also use treble hooks for small channel cats and as soon as they start pecking just set them. very easy way to catch 2-4 pound channels

10. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use a cheap quantum spinning reel (snapshot) and a 6 foot ugly stick. I use 50lb power pro so i dont have to worry about snags. I have had this setup for about 6 years now and it hasnt failed me yet.

11. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Anything under 10# I like to use a small spinning reel (any you can afford) on a light action ugly stick (mine is 5 1/2 ft with blue on black pattern). I use the 8 lb Solar Collecter green line (Big Game). The ultra-light set up makes the small fish seem bigger and it sure is a whole lot of fun.

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    This is my favorite way to catfish. ULTRA-LIGHT. I have a 6 1/2 ft. ultra-light ugly stik spinning rod with a shimano solstace spinning reel and I have it spooled with 20 lb. test power pro and these rigs also double as my bream and crappie poles to. This is what I use when we are fishing anchored and it has been able to handle an 8 pound blue in the Arkansas River and I think it will handle one some bigger. Where we fish we normally don't have to worry about trees and such the structure is mostly just a rocky bottom. We catch fish in the 2 - 3 pound range and they are a blast. Anyway this is what I like the best.

ST

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay guys,well i added up my money but did not have enough for an abu garcia. so i just took a trip to wally world and got a lighter action shakespeare bass rod and put one of my abu garcia spinning reels on it.i relly like it, its a pretty nice little combo for some eater cats.and the remaning money i had left over went to hooks,line,and stink bait.
    when i get it out on the water i will let yall know how it does.

btw the rod was called a shakespeare excursion.

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    When I was a kid, I used to catch small cats on on my med. action rod with 10-15 lb line and a crappie rig baited with night cralwers.

15. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I just purchased one of those black Ugly Stiks that is rated for 10-25 pound test to go with an Abu 6000. I haven't fished with it yet, but it is light enough to cast all day for panfish or whatever, and has enough backbone to handle most channel cats that you will encounter.

16. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay guys,well i took my new rod and old spinning reel out to day,i went to set the drag on it(rear drag)and heard a grinding sound and i think it striped out.so i took it home but i could not fix it.so i broke out the old trusty zebco 33 and put it on there, since all im catching is eaters i think it will do nicely. when i take it out i will let yall know how it does.

17. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Rods and reels for small eater cats:

Bass Pro Microlite 7.6 ft ultralight rod with a Shimano Sedona 750 reel, six pound test.

Shimano Scimatar 6.6 ft rod with a Shimano Sedona 2500FB and 10lb test.

Either will handle a cat up to 5 lbs, larger in the case of the Scimaitar rod, as long as they don't get into heavy cover.

18. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    kenny i got a reel i will trade you bitch

19. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I have landed many 15+lb fish on my 5500 and my 5000 I would recommend one of those two on a six ft rod... As others have mentioned you never know when you are going to hit a big one and it sucks sooo much having to tell yourself I should have been a little more prepared...

20. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    for eaters i got a little ugly stik ultralight that i bust out on them lil suckers...i've been meanin to put some heavier line on it though cuz you need more than 4lb test for all the snags and such that fiddlers flock to