Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im from norfolk nebraska south of yankton about an hour, and i was just wondering if anyone had tips on fishing below the dam of the shore i have no boat. all i seem to catch is drum, which aint bad other than the fact im looking for cats.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am from Kansas but I have fished there several times as I have friends from Yankton. I have had pretty good success below the dam along the rock riprap areas. I used creek chubs from the bait shop there and caught several channals in the 10lb. range as well as several flatheads 5-20lbs. You will need 3-6oz. of weight depending on the release. I know i'm not local but this worked for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am from Kansas but I have fished there several times as I have friends from Yankton. I have had pretty good success below the dam along the rock riprap areas. I used creek chubs from the bait shop there and caught several channals in the 10lb. range as well as several flatheads 5-20lbs. You will need 3-6oz. of weight depending on the release. I know i'm not local but this worked for me.
I agree with DSTUD's advice. I lived by Elk Point, SD for 5 years and fished below the dam regularly from 1998 to 2000 before moving back to Wichita, KS in 2003. I lived on the Big Sioux my last 3 years there and could fish in my backyard.

Darin

·
Registered
269 Posts
It doesn't really matter how far you cast it will come near shore due to the current, so just a normal cast 50-75ft will work. you can work more of the rocks by varying your lengths but the farther you cast the harder it will be to land a good sized fish since it will have the current in its favor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.