Gavins Point dam

Discussion in 'SOUTH DAKOTA RIVERS TALK' started by cbaker7, Aug 21, 2008.

1. cbaker7

cbaker7 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i have fished off of the wall at gavinspoint dam a few times and when you look down there are these monster cats right up under the dam. they are over there because they feed on other fish that get caught in the turbines and get ripped to shreds and that what the cats feed off of. for those who dont have a boat its kinda tough because your best shot at hooking one is off the wall and the wall is lk 100 feet tall.

ps. and there are some big paddle fish down there too

2. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    you need a boat for that dam rick

3. newtothesport

newtothesport New Member

State:
    nebraska
    I used to fish the tail waters on the nebraska side a lot when I lived in Norfolk. There are tons of oppertunities to fish for anything you want along the nebraska side from the bank. I prefered the area around the handicapped pier. A green maribu jig with a minnow would catch drum, skipjack, stripped bass, and walley with the occasional cat. Also would use a neon green twister tail. Since I started targeting cats cut bait and 2-3" gills work really well farther upstream where the eddy meets the main current west of the handicapped pier. Lots of guys there also use dip baits when its hot out for pan sized cats. Another spot that has proven itself was the boat ramp in the Nebraska tailwaters area. Only down fall was the occasional snag. If the action is slow grab some crawdads and walk up along the powerhouse but not past the warning sign and try for some drum. Remove the pincers and break in half to conserve bait. Always seemed like the best time to get out there was when the lilocks start blooming.

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Any of you fellas up there get into any big blue cats below the dam?

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Anyone alive up there?

6. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    LOL This is a happening room Keith! :smile2:

7. lonecatman

lonecatman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    occasionally....the mouth of the james river is the best bet (downstream from yankton) have caught a few nice ones there.

8. sdguy57107

sdguy57107 New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Is there shore access at the mouth of the James? I don't have a boat.

9. VanKley

VanKley New Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    No access to the confluence without a boat.

10. sdguy57107

sdguy57107 New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Yeah I was afraid of that. Thanks.

11. VanKley

VanKley New Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    The Missouri is a very tricky river to navigate. Even with a boat getting to the Jim can be a challenge. Especially at night! I spent over 3 hours one night pulling my boat off of sandbars, it was a nightmare! 1/4 mile from shore and beached! Only night I was ever scared on the river!

12. sdguy57107

sdguy57107 New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Sounds like you were a little short on the fun factor that night. But that it is how you get good stories for later lol.

13. VanKley

VanKley New Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Actually the night was fun. Before I got stuck I was nailin em @ the Jim River Confluence, was only getting into 5-7 lb channels so I tried to move, thats when things got hairy! I got stuck on 2 different sandbars and COULD NOT find the channel back! I left the boat beached and walked till I found deep water and then pulled my boat through 2-3 inches of water until I was able to get floating, then the current kept pushing me back onto the sand when I would try to jump in the boat and hit the throttle. (I was solo in flight) That was a whole nother venture in itself! I did end the night with 3 more channels, biggest was 9, from under the Meridian bridge in Yankton. My Avatar pic is from that night!

14. sdguy57107

sdguy57107 New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    I guess you can't complain too much then. You worked for those fish! Looks like you must have had more than one fish fry.

15. VanKley

VanKley New Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    1 fish fry exactly. I brought em to my Moms that Sunday and threw em all on the smoker. Finished in a lemon pepper and garlic butter!

16. sdguy57107

sdguy57107 New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Mmmm sounds good.