Gavins point Dam

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by bigjmm, Jun 28, 2009.

1. bigjmm

bigjmm New Member

State:
    Norfolk Ne
    I was fishing there the last two days and i wasnt having much luck for cats i only caught one any tips

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Jerome. Stay safe and enjoy!!!

3. bigjmm

bigjmm New Member

State:
    Norfolk Ne
  4. lonecatman

lonecatman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    check the corps of engineers to see when they increase the water flows and fish during those times.the flows are posted daily.early fall is a great time to fish because they lower the upstream resevoir levels to accomodate snow melt in the winter. a good bait to use there is shad or skipjack. a good place to easily catch some skippies is by the handicapped pier on the nebraska side.

5. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    you catch alot of skips up there... i was up there in 03 we stoped there to do some fishin on the way back from mn. and all we caught was skipjack.. had i known then what i do now i would have probably had a lifetimes worth of bait.. you catch them from the bank?

6. bigjmm

bigjmm New Member

State:
    Norfolk Ne
    so i should use shad or skipjack but where should i cast i was just tossing it out to the middle and i caught alot of drum a couple gar. and i had one good cat on had him to the bank and then my line broke. is there any more consistent spots?

7. lonecatman

lonecatman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    try by the handicapped pier (downstream side). also down by the boat ramp on nebr. side can be good. you usually don't have to throw out very far. sometimes only 10' from shore!! the cats sometimes seem to cruise the rockline cuz theres lots of baitfish that hug the shore along the rocks to hide from all the predators. i've caught them as close as 3' from the rocks. cut skipjack works real good...the whole place is loaded with them.

8. twincatfis

twincatfis New Member

State:
    lincoln nebraska
    where is this dam at? lol

9. Dkaup

Dkaup New Member

State:
    Columbus,nebraska
    was wondering what you catch them skip jack on. just some worms i take it........

10. bigjmm

bigjmm New Member

State:
    Norfolk Ne
    it i at yankton