Gave the asian some heck tonight

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Seth, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Four of us went gigging at Bonnots Mill Access on the Osage River tonight. We got all covered up in the silver carp too. About 20 of them ended up in our boat, 3 of them volunteered by jumping in the boat themselves.

It's been a long time since I have gigged there, but I can't believe how bad the asian carp are there. I've now officially been slimed by an asian carp, as well as everybody else in the boat. Them big ones that go 20+ can sure pack a wallop!

This had to be one of my favorite gigging trips ever though. :big_smile:

I took a picture of the coolers full of those nasty ol things, but I'm too tired to upload it and post it so maybe tomorrow.

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    gigg'n hugh , can't wait to see the pic- .

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Get um up in chunks , baggim , put in freezer. They make good cut bait.

4. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    How well do them slimy suckers hold up when frozen John?

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'm looking forward to hearing John's response. Mike I've found the Asian's turn to MUSH when frozen. I've even tried using the vacuum bags to no avail. Of course around our parts the asians are so PLENTIFULL, its pretty easy to get them in the boat in short order. OF course you and Ryan dont wanna hear that do ya? :wink::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yeah, I don't know what it is about those things.....If I'm out just riding around with the family they jump right next to the boat if not in. But, if I'm trying to get them in I can barely get them to jump and if they do it's way too far away. Ryan was having the same problem....the few that did jump were way behind the boat or way off to the side. Of course we didn't have much luck snagging them either:sad2:

7. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    We spend 3 hours trying to catch them, then here comes Cuz and says ok let me go get you one. Pulls over to the wing dam on the other side of the river and comes back with two in like 3 minutes. Truely the master of Showmanship! Thanks again Cuz for all the help that day sorry we couldnt make them count though.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Your welcome and no worries. Most folks have been getting the golden skunk on the river from the JB bridge on south to St. Genevive. I think there is too much bait around right now. (At least on that stretch) I've heard from a couple buddies that there is a pretty good bite goin on around downtown St. Louis and there isnt much bait in the water up that way. I may run up there next week and do some 'snoopin' :wink:

Maybe you can hop a ride with me next week and I'll show you how to target those asians with a snaggin rod.

9. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I don't have any problem getting the Asians.. I just can't get anything to bite on the carp.. I could have 2 poles out with carp and 1 pole out with day old shad and they'll hit the shad everytime...

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'm the opposite Harold. I cant get anything to touch the Shad :smile2:
    They have been belting the Asians for me all summer.. Go Figure!!!!

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Same here for me, if they don't hit the asian then they would be hitting the goldeyes, never the shad for me either!

12. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Take the Asain carp and wrape as soon as possible in sarah wrap as tight as you can and put in deep freeze, when you get ready to use. scale and fillet.
    I leave the skin on. just the way I do it, seems to work. Haven't caught anything over 30 lb on it, though.
    Hope this helps.
    Jim

13. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Heck with bait, we ate them suckers. :big_smile: One of the best tasting fish I've had. Fillet them out, pressure cook the meat down with some lemon pepper and Lawry's seasoning salt mixed in. Then take the meat and mix with eggs, crackers, salt and pepper and make patties. Freeze the patties on a cookie sheet for a few hours and then vacuum seal them for eating later. I got the recipe from a coworker and tried it and it was FANTASTIC!!!

I need to start an asian carp patty fast food restaurant. :cool2: I'll never run out of meat, that for sure. :wink:

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Flying silver salmon pattys.
    Jump right on your plate.:smile2: I'll try one but need some of what Rusty was drinking first.....:eek:oooh:

15. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Asain may become extinct, Mo. boys have found, asian carp go good with a cool one.
    Jim