Gators and kayaks

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by FlashGordon, Sep 5, 2007.

1. FlashGordon

FlashGordon New Member

State:
    Texas
    Forgot about the gators. I used to go canoeing in Florida in the early 90's. If you have water in FL you have gators. They see a human and they head for the other side of the lake. Fish see me coming they follow the gators:0a4:.

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    they dont really bother me that much. the fish i mean, not the gators. lol!

most of the time the ones around here just sink off into the deep water, but if you get too close to a nest whoo whoaa look out sally!!!

3. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    One of my Biggest fears are gators and Water mocs ever since I moved from California to Texas. When I fish I feel like the helpless mouse in the snake cage before it gets eaten.
    I and 280 they can feed off of me for a year, now hypothetically speaking if you have a curios one what do you do other than not dangle your toes in the water?

4. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
  5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey, Old Bill... Welcome to the BOC...:cool2:

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have repeatedly worked worked waist deep and more with Gators.Bad times they were concentrated so bad you could not count them and they were feeding on each other.A Gator or any wildlife that willfully approaches you is checking you out for a meal or has Rabies.If that animal thinks it can eat you,it will.Running is proving that you think it can,and triggers attack.In any confrontation with any species (which I avoid if all possible) I make it clear that I plan on doing the killing and eating if they push it to that.Many Dogs and humans are no different if you think about it. For years I cleaned canoe trails in the Okefenokee Swamp Wildlife Refuge.The best times were at very low water when things were exposed.This also concentrated the Gators.When it was bad you would see no Gators below 6 feet as they practice cannibalism.One place where there is or was a huge and I believe world Record Gator,there were no 8 ft Gators.It has been documented and filmed that a 14 ft Gator can swallow a 6 foot Gator whole.The dominate Gator will check you out by trying you about every 3 days.When you are knee deep to armpit deep and even diving to hook a chain,you cannot avoid them.You just make them think that you wish to eat them.No joke.For real.You just imitate attack.Now you must always be willing to carry through if necessary.I normally used my push pole to pop them on the snout at 10 feet.I have used the flat side of my double bitted Axe,Bow Saw and the bottom of my Chain Saw when my observer (wife) got her mind off on woman things (perhaps my life insurance?)Only once did I have a close call and had nothing but the bottom of my closed fist.Thank God it worked.A Gator is use to eating anything that does not eat it.The parts of the swamp where people feed them the Bow fin they catch are the worst.These Gators were a pain and needed constant attention and eventually have to be destroyed by the Wardens.The only serous attack or try was twice for my 94-104 lb.wife in such areas.This proves that a Gator is STUPID!Squirrel,Coons,Deer or Gator,feeding them in a public place is usually a death sentence for them.They will learn to damage,destroy and bite as they do in the wild for known human meals,be it your crackers or your hand.Yes Squirrels eat meat.I have heard of returning to the site of a lost finger to find a Squirrel eating it,and yes I believe it.I have seen them eating the raw ground beef set on a picnic table while waiting on the grill.Also raw shrimp and chicken.Now most important.I have been handling wild and domestic animals since I can remember.Often when wounded or hurt as everyone considered me the local rescue unit and I was.The Game Wardens sent them to me as they knew I returned it to the Santee refuge or state park if at all possible.If you cannot walk up to and physically handle a vicious dog or dogs,cattle,venomous snakes etc.,you will have no luck with Gators.I believe that animals sense and smell fear.I could when young.I am now weak,helpless and PREY.People such as me and children are a danger to healthy people,as we attract predators.They know.I had a knack and a skill with animals.Each of you have your knacks and skills that I don;t have.A collapsible aluminum push pole bought 25 years ago at Cabela's with a "V"shaped "Duck Foot" on it handled most of my Gators.It has lasted many years and miles of poling.The accessory wide duck foot works best in mud.They will wear out at the hinge.Any light pole that will give a substantial lick or better "punch"at 10-12 feet will do.You have to be attacking and make him believe it.You are not out to kill it,blind it or injure it in any way.To freeze and do nothing is to become prey like running.I do freeze for animals that cannot eat me such as looking down and seeing a Cotton Mouth between my feet.I talk to animals to make sure they do not think that I am hiding.He is checking you out as a potential meal if it is willfully within 12 feet of you.That Bear may walk on by,but you are in the meat display in his market.Federal refuge personnel had no problem with my methods at the time.They may have been desperate for volunteers.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Wow.............. I am honestly speechless.
    All this info was absorbed like a sponge. I honestly want to thank you for taking the time to write the reply and sharing your info. Honestly thank you once again. If your ever in the DFW area shoot me a email and buys you a few beers!

8. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I just remembered I had this photo of a gator and a deer.

It's supposed to be real, but I've heard several stories about the photo and where the photo was taken. The first story I heard was that the photo was taken in Louisiana. Then I heard it was actually taken in South American. Then I heard it was a fake photo.

You can judge for you self.

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Gator.JPG

Now, here is a real fake photo! The Great White Shark is real, and the boat is real, but, they were never in the same part of the world together!

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Shark & P-15.JPG

However, both photos kinda make me think twice about going swiming!!:crazy:

Old Bill

9. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    I have a similar kayak and boy I can tell you stories!
    Seals are a bigger threat in Califonia than the Sharks are but where there is seals then the landlords are around good ol great white and mako sharks. I have been cornered a few time in the bay while setting traps for lobsters on my kayak. Both times a boater had to come help me out. Sitting 3 inches from the water and having these animals with large dog sized heads and the rows of teeth are no joke.

10. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The gator pic has been attributed to all sorts of lakes, but it is real, it is a big un and it was taken on a wildlife refuge near Savannah.