gators and chum?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by baitchunker, Feb 25, 2008.

1. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    this is a question directed at the rest of you southerners.

i have been investigating the merits of using chum to catch more/bigger cats. i have even started gathering supplies. my question is:

i fish in an area with too many alligators. if i use chum will it attract them by the dozens? i allready catch a few by rod-reel every year by mistake. its not that i even mind catching them. but, it has been my experience so far that if you get a few of them hanging around the boat, you dont seem to catch as many fish. does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks,
    J.D.

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thats where a nice large caliber weapon comes in handy. lol

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    sgt.you dont want to get caught shooting one of these pest.go to your local feed store and buy some sinking catfish food works good and doesnt draw the gators as bad.

4. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    lol,,, not funny :sad2:

5. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    IN the SC low country, we have a don't ask/ don't tell policy about that. I don't know anything though.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    you honestly think i am going to go out and start blasting gators? i have known JD for a while and was ribbing him a little. i dont honestly think its funny to kill anything just to do it. i have never killed a gator, they got as much right to be in the swamps as i do, and if i am chumming with somthing that might bring them in, then thats my fault not the gators. Sorry JD, i guess we arent allowed to kid around anymore.

on a more serious note, try using dog food jd. mix it with some water and let it sit. or some sourer cracked corn might work too. i dont think it would draw in the gators as bad.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    wasnt getting on any body i was being sacastic.just my way of kidding

8. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    i wanst refering to you, poison. i got your meaning. no offense taken, hopefully none was given on my part.