Gator Smackdown!!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by nick81, Sep 24, 2009.

1. nick81

nick81 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Here's a few pics of my gator for the '09 gator season. It was quite an adventure for sure. Hope to get onother next year. he was 10' 4" weighed in at 370lb.

Attached Files:

2. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i have always thought that would be really fun how exactly do you get in on those hunts i would love to do it one year. also how exactly do you do it. iv seen people use bows and ive also seen people shoot em with guns. dont know much about how ya do it just always seemed like somethin i want to hunt

3. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Nice. Does it taste like chicken?:smile2:

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    congrats to ya Nick on getting a big gator.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's cool; congratulations. I see a lot of huge gators on the upper Santee and lower Congaree. We were electrofishing up there last week and shocked a gator about 10' long that was under some willow limbs, so we didn't see him until too late. That would have made a great video as he tail walked across the river, with head and shoulders totally out of the water, shaking his head and body as he tried to figure out just what the heck had happened to him. Amazing!

6. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    NICE GATOR NICK ! ! ! :worship:

Tommy I bet that got REAL interesting for a few seconds as he tried to get into the boat with you ! !

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah; I saw his head under the bushes, but at first thought it was a large carp, until it circled behind the boat, headed out of Dodge!
    We also shock a lot of large carp, and those grass carp can jump like a tarpon sometimes. The juice doesn't always stun them, but it sure gets them to moving. lol I keep thinking I'll carry a camcorder, but always forget to.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Nice gator, congrats. Being from Florida I miss the gator hunting and all. Its a shame...I haven't even ate any in over a year,,,thats some GOOD eating there ; )

9. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Tommy, you work for the wildlife dept. or justb out there having fun?

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I work for SCDNR; freshwater fisheries. We're doing sampling right now to determine the numbers of juvenile shad and blueback herring on their fall migration back to the ocean.

11. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Nice gator Nick. Reps too you.

12. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    In my younger days i always wanted to wrestle one of them bad boys:smile2:jk I seen were one bite off the arm of a young man down at Santee so i kinda lost interest. Why do you think i fish out of boats with high sides:big_smile:

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Nice gator Nick. My wife's cousin got a 10.4 footer out of the Edisto River. He said it pulled them upstream faster than the motor could.

14. nick81

nick81 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    It's kinda like a lottery. you pay $10 to enter and they draw 1,000 tags. If your name is drawn you pay an additional $100. I'm gonna get my whole family to enter next year. lol. I gotta get another one of those lizards.

15. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    nice gator, what did you shoot it with a bow or a gun??? id like to try it, i think it would be fun, cool mount too if you were to do that...

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Oddly enough, yes. Yes it does taste like chicken, but the texture is somewhat stringy.

Bill in SC

17. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Congrats Nick!! :wink:
    Now if you draw another tag next year after I have been passed over twice......................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused2: No more friend!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. nick81

nick81 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    lol.... just make sure you get a tag so I can help put another smackdown on em:wink:

19. nick81

nick81 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    It's a combination. you have to first shoot it with a bow, them after is is somewhat wore down and you have him alongside the boat you shoot him with the pistol. I'll post pics of the head mopunt when it gets back....they say it will be around three months.

20. MMloy

MMloy New Member

State:
    NC
    Congrats on the kill - i have heard this is exciting to do, just seems a tad bit scary. I have eaten gator and like it- not really like chicken in taste to me and it was a wite meat but does have a texture like a scallop. I had it grilled and fried - good both ways. Congrats again!