Gatlinburg skipjack

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by crazy, Jan 12, 2010.

1. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'm going to be in Gatlinburg around Feb. 26th. Was just wondering if there are any place to get some skipjacks in the area? I know about the places on the west side of TN. Was hoping not have to travel back west to fish.

2. festus

festus New Member

If it were a month or so later, say last week of March I would suggest Bull Run Steam Plant which is outside of Oak Ridge over toward Knoxville. The only other place I could think of would be John Sevier Steam Plant, but I don't know if they're generating.

3. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    If you are driving from Kansas City to Gatlinburg you will be driving right by the Cumberland City, Tn. steam plant. It has great bank access and the fishing can be good.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah I smoked the skips at CC couple years ago. Was hoping that I could get into some where I will be staying for a few day's. Probably will have to fish all day at CC then drive home.

5. festus

festus New Member

If you're ever over this way in late Mar, Apr, or May, you can probably catch skipjacks below Ft. Loudoun or Melton Hill Dam. Actually Douglas Lake is much closer to Gatlinburg and I'm pretty sure there are skippies over there, too. But since you're gonna be here in Feb, you're probably too early.

I just checked on another message board about skipjacks around Bull Run Steam Plant. They've only been generating and running hot water for just about 8-10 days. After asking 3 or 4 other fishermen, they say the skippies aren't there yet. Not even any shad yet. About the only thing being caught over there right now are muskie and stripers on large shiners and live rainbow trout.

6. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    CC ought to be good right about now...

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well heck muskie fishing sounds alright to many as well. Might have to dig out the big lures.

8. festus

festus New Member

There's a bait shop up the road from Bull Run a couple of miles that sells live rainbow trout abt 8" to 10" long. They're a popular muskie & striper bait during wintertime. If the fish don't bite, you can eat your bait. They're legal. Good trout fishing in Gatlinburg. I forgot the name of that creek that runs downtown, it's heavily stocked and they're easy to catch. But it's more fun to go on out in the wilderness and catch them.

9. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I was at douglas dam a couple of years ago in april and the skips were in there thick but I wouldn't think they would be there much earlier.