Gathering up supplys for JUGGN for catfish..

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Human Resources 31, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Human Resources 31

Human Resources 31 New Member

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    Not this weekend...next weekend I am going to start jugging out of my boat never did it. I am going to use 20 ounce pop bottles I assume with maybe 20 lb test with a swivel and slip sinker etc. I checked illnois fishing regulations the best I could and it seems that there isnt a limit on how many can br in the water at one time? Didnt seem right to me however they have to be under supervison the whole time and name and address need to be on them. Any thoughts? :confused2:

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    In Illinois, you are allowed I believe 50 hooks. So, you could theoretically have 50 jugs with 1 hook each. That is kind of crazy if you ask me.. but still... that doesn't include folks who are trotlining. They may hate that you only get 50 hooks as they run several lines out plus do either bankpoles and fishing rod and reel.

I tend to use about 16 jugs when I am fishing. I tend to drift with them most of the time in truth. When I am fishing with jugs, they are freefloating and I go along with them.

3. Human Resources 31

Human Resources 31 New Member

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    I have a good setup I have a huge pond that feeds from the illnois river so I am guessing those cats will go in there at night to feed calm water. I will have to see what happens. How do I use sinkers etc on that rig slip sinker?

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    How deep is the water in that pond, Dave? I'd probably make my lines so that the jugs could float around most of the pond without snagging the bottom; you may want to experiment with lines of various lengths, or, depending on the line length, simply use 2 or 3 hooks per jug. Since you apparently have a limit of 50 hooks, just how you set that up will be a matter of personal preference. For a weight, I use a 16p or 20p nail because it's cheap, and they don't hang up as badly as a regular sinker; also, for storage, you can simply wind your line around the neck of your jug, drop the nail inside, and screw on the cap. Be sure to wind the line clockwise onto the jug, so that screwing on the cap tightens the line; winding it the opposite way will result in the line loosening when you screw on the cap, and it will work loose and make a mess.

5. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    For our jugs we use the same cord that we do for trotline drops. Ive always had bad luck using mono for setlines. I think its 150lb test? We use 1/2oz to 2oz sinkers depending on what we're using for bait, worms, cut shad etc doesnt need much. Live bluegills, bullheads takes a little heavier one. 20 oz. soda bottles might be a little light too if there's alot of snags. Big fish can take it down and wrap it up in brush and twist off. We use 2 liter soda bottles and also we've been trying the squarish Motts light apple juice jugs and they are working better. Bigger mouth so we can drop the whole rig in after we untie/cut it. Our standard rig is 4"-6" of line then the weight with a big swivel(3/0?) then another 1"-2" of line and our hook. If your after bullheads 2 or 3 1/0's below the weight spaced out 8" or so apart will load a bucket quick. In Illinois all unattended fishing devices have to be labeled/marked with the owners name and address. We put them on a piece of paper and put it in the bottle. Your allowed 50 hooks per license total. If theres at least 2 of us and the one boat we run about 25 jugs and usually a short trotline or two. The river can be a pain to run jugs on, best to swing down river and check'em on the way up we've found. Barge's will eat'em too, we try to pick them up if we see a barge coming. Just flip them over the side into the boat until the barge is past. Most of the time on the main river we just set bankpoles and trotlines anymore. If your on backwater, oxbows etc then that wont be a problem.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Strictly a matter of personal preference, but I use 100# test line for my jugs because they sometimes get hung up and I have to break them off.