Gathering in Arizona

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by explayer, May 1, 2006.

1. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    Dates are June 9-11 please post here on who will be there and boat or not thank you

2. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I'm in like Flynn. I don't have real boat. I do have a Scanoe.

3. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Capt Scanoo is in for the run...:big_smile:

4. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    So where is the gathering going to be? I have a little 12' aluminum boat, but I need to know where we are going first.

This one I might be able to make. Let me know.

Martinman

5. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    the Gathering will be at Rosevelt Lake the weekend of June 9-11

6. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    I think you can definately slate me in on that one. I will probably be down at Roosevelt either this weekend or the next.

Is there any definate location that we were looking to meet? I usually put in at Schoolhouse. I have a small 12ft aluminum boat. Not much to look at, but it puts me on the water.

Martinman

7. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    think I may get to this one w/ mayb bluehunter, be great to see you dudes again, but hope we can get some fish this time, need some info, are we all camping in in one area and do we need reservations, what kinda cost are we looken at, will a ez-up and cots work instead of tents- tents get hot in them in the desert, is there gas close by or do we bring it, how would a pontoon do on the lake, whats an out of state lic cost and were can you get one near by( may try to get one in EHRENBERG if there's a place), what ya all get for bait, Is there fishing and boating after dark, about how long (time)a drive is it from the river(blythe)will stay there fri nite and get up early sat morn for the drive out.

will bring a boat, a 24' pontoon that I can put 6 fisherman on or a 2 person bass boat

anybody know what the lake record is for a flat

8. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Dale, I will try to answer some of your questions
    1.Nonresident License cost, 5 Day 26.00 --- One day 12.50---two pole
    stamp 4.00
    2. Boating and fishing at night. YES
    3. GAS.... Yes
    4. Camping. Don't know about that I always stayed in Motel.
    5. Distance From Blythe.. around 250 miles. 4 1/2 - 5 hr. pulling boat.
    6. flatheads. I know that 65lb fish have been taken in the salt river coming
    into the lake.
    I would like to make the gathering but don't know when I will be back from Oklahoma. If back in time I will nost likely be there.
    Talk to you later Bill

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    So far no plans for that weekend so I should be able to go along with Riverbud.

10. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Riverbud,

There are several camping areas off of Roosevelt. There is a boat ramp and nearby camping area near the Salt River end of the lake known as Schoolhouse...I dont know if it is labeled as Schoolhouse Campground or Schoolhouse Marina. Anyway, I know that it is $10.00 a day for vehicle and boat. I do not know if there is an extra fee for camping. Bait can be purchased on the way to the lake...waterdogs, worms, etc. The waterdogs went way up in price this year though. If you can catch sunfish or small carp, they work good also.

I am still searching for the elusive flatheads in the lake, but I have happened upon several channel cats. Largest so far is a 19lber.

Bluehunter,

It would be awesome to finally get to meet you if you can come. Then you can fill me in on all the details for fishing in California for those monster blues.

Martinman

11. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I will be fishing the upper salt 5/12 night for flats and will post any info that's helpful. Not sure if I can make it that's right around the time my job goes away. I am going to really try to get there this is much closer and I would like to meet up with you all. Hoping for a new job before maybe with safeway at their datacenter in deer valley. I'm going with a guy 5/12 that caught many there in the past but hasn't fished it for 3 years. Planning to get to the lake near noon and collect mass gills,sunnies and baby carp. You Cal guys this is the place for the monster Flats and on some nights many. The stories from this area are unreal. Very common are 20's and 30's and 40's. This blows away bartlett res. for average. Bait has been an issue so it should be planned to spend some quality time gettting gill,sunnies and carp. Young Matt mentioned last time he was there the bait was plentiful. Pre spawn is hot in the river and after spawn the lake is good. Reports have been good now with big flats being caught at the diversion dam which is up river to far for boats but if they are there they will be lower. Fishing pressure on shore at the diversion dam and lower is very high I recommend your boat. Give more info after my trip on the 12th. later dudes.

12. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I believe I will be able to make it. I have a 28 foot toon and another 12 foot sea nymph with a 7.5hp motor. Definately bringing the toon and will see if I can work out some way to get the smaller craft there as well. Not too familiar with the lake so I will have to rely on a Rosey pro for information.

13. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Can u use goldfish in ther lake? I can get some in blythe if they can b used, would rather have some gills or baby carp but may not have time to get any them waterdogs sound good also, about how much $$$$ for a dozen

14. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    hi all,

I may be able to make it that weekend. will let you know.

15. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    No, baitfish has to come from the lake itself.

16. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    topjimmy is right they only allow minnows and waterdogs not from the lake.

17. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    water-dogs are real cheap and good bait if you can find them big enough.

18. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    been alot of years since i have been able to find and use water dogs use to be my grand dads best bait for big channels up on havasu. about how big can you get, wished i had some for the weekend going to be at the river trying to get a big flat along with bluehunter

19. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    My brother and I were at Roosevelt tues and wed. We were fishing for crappies, but did spend a couple of hours after dark about a 1/2 mile up the river. We didn't have a flathead run at all. But, everyone we talked to said the flats were moving into the river, so your June date looks pretty good. Where are you going to camp? The ramp at Schoolhouse campgrounds is the closest to river access.
    They do have "group" campsites at Grapevine, but they may already be taken by bass tournaments.

Coming in from Globe on Hwy 88 you can get bait, license and etc at Kilmers Kountry Store. It is a couple(?)of miles
    down 88 after the Globe turnoff. They have waterdogs, minnows, worms, grubs. etc. Waterdogs were $17.95 a dozen or $8.95 for 1/2 dozen. I think the price goes up almost as fast as gas.

At the East end of the lake there is a convenience store with gas($3.15 a gal this week), two motels, and a couple of restaurants. Convenience store opens at 6 am restaurants open at 9 or 10 am.

My brotherand I may try to make the gathering, if not, good luck to all, and have a good time.

20. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I am going to try to make it! Where is the closest airport and how far is it from the lake? I would probably ship my fishing gear to Dale and maybe rent a car from the airport! Sure sounds like a blast!
    Maybe we can get a thread started in the "member gatherings" section!