GATHERING IDEA

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catman-j, Oct 29, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Why don't we pick an I-80 lake somewhere in the middle? Ask some G&P people which ones are better for catfish and camping both?? Merritt is in the middle of nowhere, branched oak has few fish and flatheads are catch & release, Strunk might be a real good lake and is right off I80 not very far so it would be a good choice comparable to the I-80 lakes. It would seem logical to pick something close to I-80 for easier travel. One thing I notice is that the people who go to the Missouri gathering come from a long ways away and they don't seem to be so hung up on catching a ton of fish. What the hell are our priorities?

2. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I can say my prioritys are to get together to have a good time,eat together,BS together,share fishing tips and methods,and maybe do a little fishing before,during or after. In general a communion of catfish enthusists! I believe you have a good point about the easy traveling on I-80,maybe Johnsonlake,gallager canyon,Elwood would be some good choices for the lake size and are just a skip away from the interstate,and are in a central type location even if a little south. Go for it!

3. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    windmill???????? whats more central than that......hell lake number 1 even has trout....

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    been 30+ lb cats pulled out of windmill-for a fact!

5. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    then I think your priorities are pretty good. Myself I would prefer a no wake lake. It would be quieter. I plan on having a trailer hitch on my olds by spring so I can pull my little boat. It should get 25mpg pulling the boat so a 250 mile drive would only be 20 gallons of gas round trip. I will try to get some info on the I-80 lakes in the near future. If you guys are interested in something fun come on up and watch some hockey with me. UNO is #12 in the country right now.

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I'm not much of a sports fan,but thanks for the invite.

7. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I'm pretty sure that I mentioned Johnson, Elwood, and Galleger canyon(which by the way is a no wake lake). I know Mark caught some good channies out of Elwood this year and some good (but few) cats were caught out of Johnson. And if memory serves me right Galleger is a bitch to load and unload a boat. Up to you guys at this point. I'm going to Merritt with Chris and Jr so any other get togethers are up to you guys. Not being a pain but just letting every one know. I'm spending like a grand each time to go to Waverly (which is twice next year) so any other fishing has to be close to me.

8. NebraskaWalleye

NebraskaWalleye New Member

State:
    Viola Kansas
    at our Johnson tournament we had 7 teams all 7 teams weighed a 15lb fish at least we took 1st with 3 18lb+ and the rest were 10+ which was our other 5.
    Elwood has some good cats too but you have to be willing fish different and for some reason you cook on that lake. plus if memory serves me right Elwood does not really have any good camping locations. Gallagher's is a pain in the ass to launch from but plum creek is not so bad and they are attached.with a low bridge which is an awesome Flathead location by the way. Caught a 37# flat there fishing with a cut shad fishing for white bass on 6# test. was an awesome fight took me about 45 minutes and that is when I started swearing by PowerPro. with all the rocks and log jams he ran me across if I would of had mono he would of been gone. but there are all 3 within a stones toss of each other with Johnson being in the middle of all 4 of them. Plum Creek, Gallagher's, Elwood, and Johnson.

9. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Well I just got done putting up threads in IA, KS, MO, CO, and I'm about to put one up on the TX page. And I'm sending out word of the Merritt gathering in June. So hopefully we can get a good response from some of them people. Jeff even mentioned it in the SD webpage. Thanks Jeff
    Now I think we need to either get on board if you want to join or just quit blowing the plan down or else no one from another state is going to want to come and hang out with us here in NE.

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I would like to put some input on Johnson Lake and Elwood Res. I fish these lakes religiously. Darn near fishing both lakes every weekend and some weekdays throughout the summer. Elwood was really great for the CATS this summer, with many cats in the 3-15# being caught. My friend caught an 18 and 25# Channel cat this summer. Johnson Lake can be really great too, especially at the Inlet during the dog days of summer. From my experience on Johnson. the CATTIN' had declined somewhat from what it used to be. Don't know why. A few years back, I've caught 100's of cats in the inlet using stinkbait and liver. As the years progressed the numbers of cats caught declined. Early season can be great. During May, using cutbait like shad, some big cats can be caught.

Looking like Elwood might be a pain to fish, because this lake is getting filled right now. Saying it will be filled to the max. That means drifting and finding the fish will be hard. Many snags from the submerged weeds and just getting to the fish can and will be hard. I will try my best to find the fish, but it might be hard.

If and so we do have a gathering at Elwood or Johnson , both?, I will be overjoyed to help all that attend to put them on some fish. I know these lakes really well and will even show you the ropes. Haven't fished Gallaghers or Plum Creek for awhile. Midway Canyon can be really great on the smaller channels and big Flatheads, but I'm not to familiar with Midway as of yet.

Anybody who wants to try Johnson or Elwood next year, just shoot me a PM!! I will allow the members to camp at our cabin or you can use the available campground.

Just a thought. Let me know!!

by the way, I can get bloodbait for drifting for the Channels. This has been the most effective bait on Elwood for numbers. Turkey liver rocks the house too. Having a gathering during the month or June or July will be the best. Water temps over 60deg, works the best for bloodbait drifting!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    It's been awhile since I fished Gallagher's Canyon. The main thing to remember on that lake is the submerged sand bars. Nothing like cruising in the boat and getting it stuck in the sand. Happened to me a while back. LOL! Having a depth locater is a must!! Unloading and loading the boat isn't to bad, but finding a place to park the boat and trailer can be a pain if it's busy on that lake. Usually not.

Just some info to help!!

12. NebraskaWalleye

State:
    Viola Kansas
    Yeah I heard the wipers were hitting damn good up there right now, if it gets full the fishing there will be hard, Gallagher, midway and plum are all awesome flathead fisheries and decent for crappie and eyes on very rare occasions there are big channels caught out of those 3 chained but its on very rare occasions Elwood middle of summer I have never had any real luck for channels even drifting blood baits but you might be able to show me better spots I had one hit me on some skip jack last year that actually when it hit snapped my ugly stick about 5 inches below the joint that sucked but when i picked the rod up he was not even there.

Anyone who comes up if they dont like boat fishing I can always take them out on the canal sytem and put them on cats that way too.

13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Wow! Can't believe the Wipers are even hitting right now!! Guessing it's because of the water getting released in the lake. Probably the shad and alewife are schooling and the Wiper are attacking the baitfish. Kinda makes me want to go up there right now and go for them. Put the rods away for the winter and concetrating on the deer hunting right now. Hoping the wiper fishing is good next year. For any one that hasn't got into some Wiper action, it's a real blast. Those fish are incredible fighters!! Need strong line and a smooth drag for those beasts.

Not to brag, but I was featured in an article in Great Plains FISH and GAME magazine on Wiper fishing. This was a few years back. I had caught many master angler Wipers in Elwood and Johnson lake that year. 2001? I believe. The publisher of the magazine contacted me about some info on techiques for catching Wipers. Guessing I've caught over 30 some Master Angler wiper over the years. Most of them were not turned in for an award. Just a sheet of paper. LOL!! Just love catching them, especially the big ones. Best to date is a 13#, 30" Wiper at Johnson Lake.

14. NebraskaWalleye

State:
    Viola Kansas
    Yeah red willow and medicine creek have some real beasts too think there has been quite a few 17# caught out of there my biggest to date was 8#6oz same amount my daughter weighed when she was born 2 months later, lol. but yes any time they let water into Elwood they hit hard and fast.

15. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I heard someone else talking about a good bite right at the bubble area at elwood,but I didn't hear what they were catching,but they were buying up blue and silver little cleo spoons like they were going out of style,just overheard them at the store. So it's just hearsay,and probably not worth mentioning:wink:. My biggest wiper came from Kansas,I was catfishing at night with a 7 inch long whole shad,when a big wiper slammed into it. It was 32 inches long and hugely fat weighed just over 23 lbs. also came with a 6 inch rattling rogue lure stuck in it's mouth,it was like brand new,still got the lure! It kind of pissed me off,as I thought I had a nice cat on for awhile,but later on that night I caught some big cats to make up for it,had a 22 lb. channel on one pole and a flathead of about 30 lbs hit my second rod while I was reeling in the channel.