Gathering Head Count

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Grimpuppy, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I am just curious about how many people we had at the gathering. If you were there, please post how many people you brought with you.

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    me, my 2 boys, Lucky & his gal. 5 total

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Me, Kassie, Richard, and Margie. :big_smile:

4. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Me, my wife, 2 kids and a guest

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Chad, it was good to meet you. We should get together and fish sometime. Do you have a pic with you holding a fish? Its always nice to see a face on an avatar. :big_smile:

6. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
  7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Sorry, forgot about Shelby. He did come with us, but I kinda thought of him more so with the rest of the Flemings. Geoff, and Bryan.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Myself an Joan.

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Myself and my father.

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    WOW !!! I just counted up everyone I could think of at the Group picture and buffet, and I came up with 90 people. Way more than I expected. When I saw all the people there, I thought we were in trouble with the food, but it worked out. I believe we had 43 people at Milford last year with children included. So we doubled last years attendance by my count. Hopefully we can double that next year. We have over 270 Kansas members, if we can get 180 members to attend next year, we can double this year. I like Dale Finney's theory, on if we pick a permanent spot for the Big Annual, we will draw more people. Then we can switch up our mini locations, so we can see all the reservoirs. What do you all think?

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That sounds like something I posted a long time ago. I think one plus of having it at one place every year is one gets to know the camp grounds and the water. I know some people asked me for help on fishing spots and places to get bait at Melvern. If we have the Mega at the same place everone would get to know the area and I think it would be so much smoother. Just my thoughts.

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Dale Finney's thinking was that having it in the same place every year helps familiarize people with the grounds, the people, and bringing some solidity to the Gathering. We can always think of things to improve it, but having it in the same place every year will grow it into a huge gathering. People will remember it and look forward to it. Like Dale told me, thats the reason Keystone was such a huge success with awesome attendance, was because it was in the same spot every year, and people loved the spot. Milford and Melvern have the best blue cat fishing in the state, and it seems to be that factor that has us selecting these as the first two. I think Milford is the best fishing, but I really like Turkey Points campground the best out of the ones weve been to. I know alot of you dont like voting, and I understand completely. Do you all want to keep it at one place? Do we keep switching it up, or leave that for the mini's ? I think the sooner we pick a spot, and promote it, gives us more time to allow people to set aside money to make it. We doubled our attendance this year, I think partly because of how early we chose the spot and started promoting it. I dont see any reason why we cant promote it harder and double the attendance for next year. Thoughts?

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I agree...I asked around 20 people if they thought they would come back to turkey point next yr and everyone said they would.There is plenty of area to spread out and having the play ground area for the kids was a BIG plus for familys there.

What better place with a nice clean lake,outlet area and the river pond to fish.And from the camp ground plenty of good shore fishing for everyone wanting to fish.

Very nice bathroom/shower facilitys and the grounds are kept in top shape.

You have my vote to have it there every yr.

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Also Dale told me, to not think of the fishing. That is a bonus. Think of the people, the campground, and the food. :big_smile:

15. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    maybe we could find a bigger & better campground at milford

16. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i dont really care where its at. ive lived in worse conditions.

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Its a tough one JJ. Milford provides the better fishing, but the higher winds. Melvern has blues also, is more centrally located for most of the members, and Turkey Point has alot more shady areas, more bank fishing access, and overall a nicer campground in my opinion. Plus it has that huge playground area right in the middle for all the kids. I do think having this year's at Melvern , closer to KC and the surrounding areas helped the attendance. What to do , what to do ?

18. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

19. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Like I said before this gathering. We should have discussed it at this gathering. What do you all think about having the Mega at Melvern and having two mini's at Milford, a early spring, and a early fall?