Gathering Food List

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by kansasoutdoors, Feb 27, 2009.

1. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It was suggested by another member that we start a thread about food for the gathering. We probably won't know how many people are actually coming for another couple of months, but it would be nice to know who's buying what early enough that we can pick these bulk items up ON SALE!!

Now, Backlashed got my attention when he said something about bringing an oven and making biscuits. We'll bring some sausage for Saturday morning breakfast; 4 or 5lbs. should do. CatfishFever said he'd bring some chili. We can make an organized list as we go. I've never been to a gathering so I don't want to make this stressful for anyone. However, food is important to me as I'm sure it is to many of you:wink: so I'd like to make sure I've got my meals planned.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    The food is the best part about the gatherings.:wink:
    You guys are okay too.:smile2:
    I will have to think about what to bring.

3. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I'll cover the biscuits & gravy for one morning.
    Brats over a campfire are always good. I'll bring some of them too.

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I was thinking of bringing unhusked ears of corn and bbq those for Sat. and some potatoes and have baked potatoes also. BBq corn is one of fav. when I go campen.

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    :eek:oooh:Thanks Phil, you brought back memories with the "baked" potatoes, me and my friends would filch tatoes, butter, and salt (salt & butter) rationed then. Go to our "Fort" down by the RR tracks, make a fire, throw in the tatoes, "bake'em", poke a stick in after they were black to get'em out of the fire, peel off the black, salt and butter, YUUUUUMMMMY!:smile2: Definitely gonna do that at the gathering. If ya ain't done it, ya don't know what you're missing.:wink:

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Chad, I was trying to make the point, let's not get "organized", just state what we'll bring, so we don't get to much of one food item. This'll keep it more casual and comfortable for everyone. No offense, just a thought. For personal consumption, just bring what your taste and body requires on an hourly basis.:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

Oh yeah, Menu sounds a lot more appetizing than list:roll_eyes::smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Ok I posted in the gathering thread, so here it is again in the right thread:smile2:

I will bring plenty of deer jerky, summer sausage, cheese and crackers. Enough for snack trays all through the gathering.

If you bring the grill Tom, I will bring an extra bottle. Maybe grilled catfish one night, if the catfish cooperate, or I can bring some and Kyle can take the fresh ones home.

8. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I will have brats,hotdogs,bugers on the grill.I will bring plenty for both the main dinner plus through out the days for lunch time.

Jay I make a pretty good baked dish of catfish over rice that can be cooked on the grill.I to will plan on bringing some fish.

I will have a nice size gas grill for anyone to use.Plus I will bring the outdoor burrner for any needs.

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Here's the list so far.Please copy & paste from here
    So far there will be a grill,outdoor burner,smoker for use if needed.

Jim..Chili
    Chad..Desserts,Assortmrnt of grilling meats,breakfast sausage
    Michael..Beer Brats,Hamburger patties,Eggs,breakfast sausage
    Ray..Biscuits & Gravy,Brats
    Jay..Deer jerky,summer sausage,cheese & crackers..Fish
    Chris..Ear corn,baking potatoes
    Tom..Brats,hamburgers,hotdogs,breakfast sauages,eggs,fish

10. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jim,

Wasn't trying to make this complicated, just trying to make it a little cheaper. If I'm buying 10lbs. of meat, I'd prefer to buy it on sale. We do a lot of camping by ourselves so we know exactly what we'll need for our family. I know my part now so I'll leave this alone. Sorry for the confusion. See ya there

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I'm very hopeful I can make it down for a night, if so, I'll be bring a couple of Weber "bullet" smokers for community use.

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Jay, I will take some fish and put it to good use.:wink::smile2:
    Chad, no confusion here. I think it was a good idea to start a thread in here for the grub. It should help stir some interest once everyone see what we will be eatin.:smile2:

13. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    One of our favorite super easy meals for camping is HOBOs.
    Hamburger, new potatoes, corn cobbetts, onions, carrots......Wrapped up in a couple of layers of foil. Throw them in the fire and cover with coals, and in about 45 min. you got a meal fit for a king. We make them up ahead of time and freeze them, makes it real convenient.

14. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    ill bring the 4-5lbs of sausage if no one else is!

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Chad, I apologize if I sounded like that, sure didn't mean to:embarassed:. That's great you set up the thread here so everyone will know what's being brought, you didn't cause any confusion or complications at all.:wink::smile2:

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Tom, if/when you post another menu consolidation, don't forget to add "Smoked Catfish" along with Lydia's chili:wink:

17. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    It sounds like their is already going to be alot of food.

I'll plan on bringing some of honey from my bees, for the biscuits.
    24 pack of mountain dew.
    And firewood for the community fire. I'll be sure to throw in some hedge for the firedance, so it can get hot enought to cause 4th and 5th degree burns.:crazy: And yes their is such a thing as 4th & 5th degree burns, google it.

18. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan

Jim I was hoping that was coming with you:tounge_out::tounge_out:

Thanks

19. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Casey that's why we like you there to treat our wounds...and now Jay has the wagon to haul us away in:smile2::smile2:

20. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Here's the list so far.Please copy & paste from here
    So far there will be a grill,outdoor burner,smoker for use if needed.
    Charlie two smokers

Jim..Chili,"smoked catfish"
    Chad..Desserts,Assortment of grilling meats,breakfast sausage
    Michael..Beer Brats,Hamburger patties,Eggs,breakfast sausage
    Ray..Biscuits & Gravy,Brats,HOBO's (them are good eats Ray)
    Jay..Deer jerky,summer sausage,cheese & crackers..Fish
    Chris..Ear corn,baking potatoes
    Tom..Brats,hamburgers,hotdogs,breakfast sauages,eggs,fish,5 gallons sun tea
    Casey...Home grown Honey,pop,firewood
    Donnie...4-5 lbs breakfast Sausage