Gathering clams

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cliff n york, Aug 10, 2006.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i had a magazine story i think in s.c. game&fish about gathering,preparing, 'i think boiling the clams to tough them ' but i lost it, can any one help ?

2. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    are you talking about those zebra mussels or actual clams? Are they for bait or food?

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Cliff, from the May '06 issue: ". .soak them 15 minutes in 165-degree hot water (about the same temperature as a home hot-water heater is set for). Do not use boiling water, as this tends to cook the mussels, and make them mushy. Drain the water off, and repeat the procedure; this kills the mussles, and makes the shell pop open for easy removal of the contents. Leaving the bait in this water overnight lets the bait ripen and toughens them up so that it stays on the hook better".

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Lake Wylie is loaded with freshwater calms(Mussels) and so is Monticello. I usually catch a bunch in shallow sand bars and put them in zip-loc bags, then put them in the freezer to use later.

5. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Gathered up a few yesterday........We call'em "Snott-Boogers".I've caught good fish with them in Santee, but have never had much luck with them here on the local lakes.Hartwell has some nice'ens:lol:

6. rattler316

rattler316 New Member

State:
    sc
    How do you gather them?

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I dig around in the sand with my hands. I have seen people using a shovel and some sort of screen basket.