Gateway Lake Wheeler Trip Feb 18-21

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Cuz, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ok, I need to get the planning together for this trip. I'm in the process of negotiating rates at one of the following sites. Whatever makes the most sense, we will go with.

Lake Side Cottages

http://www.alapark.com/joewheeler/Lakeside Cottages/

Or Cabins

http://www.alapark.com/joewheeler/Cabins/

Or the Big Lodge

http://www.alapark.com/joewheeler/Resort Lodge/

Or another lodge

http://www.alapark.com/joewheeler/GroupLodge/

The Club will be paying for the lodging from its dues coffers.
    The Trip will open only to those folks that have paid up there 2010 Dues

More info later.
    FIRST It is imperitave that I know some ball park numbers for planning.

Please copy and paste the following list, and add your name to the list. IF you wish to bring your entire household, thats ok, However there may the possibility you'll have to pitch in a little extra for extra people. I wont know till I have numbers.

Gateway Lake Wheeler Attendees

1 John, Lisa, Jack and Lauren Allen (yes I'll pay extra lol) Possibly just me

Who will be bringing a boat
    1 John Allen

We will be carpooling as much as feasible so as cost sharing is at its maximum. YOu dont have to be a boat owner to go. We will work something out.

I anticipate fuel cost to be in the neighborhood of 300 dollars per tow vehicle roundtrip. So, if you have 4 folks riding in your vehicle, then your expected fuel cost will be less than 100 Per person!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.

2 Jerry and Colleen Casey

Who will bringing a boat
    1 John Allen

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    What YOU can do between now and then to help out the cause.

Boat Owners
    1. Get your boat cleaned up and in working order
    2. Grease and/or replace your trailer wheel bearings
    3. Make sure you have a spare tire
    4. Make sure your trailer lights are operational
    5. Ensure you have operational navigation and anchor lights
    6. Inspect your fishing equipment, respool, restock up on terminal tackle
    7. Get Skipjack Herring and have them frozen properly. A good rule of thumb is to plan on having 30 skipjack, per day, per boat. So, you'll need about 100 for the trip.
    8. Fix those nitpick items that have been buggin ya
    9. Install those rod holders if you have been wanting them.
    10 Check your aerator/bilge pumps. They are notorious for freezing up and breaking in the winter time if you didnt get all of the water out of them. Make sure its not below freezing out when you hit the switches, or you mayshear the shafts on the impellers. I know this from experience :sad2:
    11. Ensure all required safety equipment are on board for the trip.
    12. An operational trolling motor can be a very valuable tool on this fishery. Make sure your is working, and ensure your batteries are up to par.

Non Boat Owners Planning On Attending
    1. Inspect your fishing equipment, respool, restock up on terminal tackle
    2. Get Skipjack Herring and have them frozen properly. Everybody needs to play there part in getting bait for this trip. Its crucial to have good bait. Skipjack is the best. Bar None.
    3. Offer to help the clubs boat owners with greasing bearings, boat maintenance etc if you plan on being able to hitch a ride. I dont need help as the ProCat is done already, but Im sure others will need help.
    4. Obtain a lifevest. Dont plan on the boat owners having one for you, even though they might. IF you know whos boat you might be riding in, you can ask them if they have extra vest to save you the expense.
    5. Attend Leadstock, and do your absolute best to obtain Lead to offer up for the weight making. You wont get hung up on Lake Wheeler near as much as the sippi, but it happens occassionaly. You'll be needing from 2 to 6 ounces for Lake Wheeler most of the time. Even at pretty high draw down, its not even close to the Sippi's current.

More info as I come about it.

Good Common Courtesy
    Have a good time with this
    Respect the Boat Captains Rules. Its his/her boat.
    Enjoy each others company.
    Catch Monster Blues On the best Lake in the Country.......

On the first day there, The Fat Cat Guys, and hopefully Jason Bridges and MIke Mitchell will be able to offer up a real quick seminar on rigging, bait cutting, and techniques so as to maximize your time on the water. The entire lower five miles of the Lake can be phenomenal that time of year, and there is no Honey Holes, so please refrain from asking them for there 'best spots'. The lower lake is all good.

Boat Owners, for fuel planning purposes, I hightly doubt you'll burn more than 20 gallons of gas the entire four days. The best fishing will be right around the cabins on the lower five miles of the lake. You burn very little fuel on this fishery unless you just feel like burning gas.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
  5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Count me in, I will bring my boat if need be. 4 People to a vehicle seems kinda tight though, I know it would in my truck. (Especially for those in the back seat!) So I'm gonna say two to three to a vehicle unless you drive a four door pickup or an suv.:wink:

6. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    dang all these yankees !!!!!!!!:smile2: gonna have to put up a fence. if you need any local help i am here nanner ,hope i am not rebuilding tennjuggers motor that weekend :eek:oooh:

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Derric, you and all your fellow Alabamans, are more than welcome to join in our festivities while we are there. Well, except for the ARAB character. Leave him at home :smile2:

Seriously, we'd love to meet as many folks as possilble. Rest assured, if its over 10 pounds, it will be catch and release from the Gateway Folks. We'll welcome any BOC'rs too, we just cant pay for everyones room :smile2:

Were looking forward to a good time. Hopefully, some of the Bama weather will cooperate for us.

8. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Count me in, I can bring my boat if needed, though it only fishes 2 comfortably and isn't the best at drifting. I have a truck with 4 doors so I'm more than willing to drive and can take 3 others pretty easily (as long as its not raining since all our clothes and such will be in the back). As for bait I've never made the run down for skipjack, but if I'm available the weekend a group decides to go I can drive to that as well....again big truck can haul aoot of crap....

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I'm thinking about making a skipjack run to Cumberland City one weekend in January. Maybe we can set something up.:wink:

10. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Sounds good Grump...just let me know when and I'll try to make it.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

3 Mike and Debbie Butler

Who will bringing a boat
    1 John Allen
    2 Mike Butler (if needed)

12. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Cool. Let's shoot for the end of January some time. We can iron out the details at leadstock I guess.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

3 Mike and Debbie Butler
    4 Gary Vinyard

Who will bringing a boat
    1 John Allen
    3 Gary Vinyard

14. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Just me John, Deb says she's not going...she is kin to Kutter I think, doesn't even think about fishing till June....lol

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

3 Mike Butler
    4 Gary Vinyard

Who will bringing a boat
    1 John Allen
    3 Gary Vinyard

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    No worries. I dont think Lisa and the kids will go either :smile2: Rusty and I will be leaving from Alabama and driving to Lake Tawakoni, Texas for the King Kat Event, so we'd have to have to take two cars. Gets kinda crazy.

17. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    I'm very interested in going, will have to check with work
    first. does anybody need a passenger to spit cost ?
    Or i could take my boat.

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    MIke, I'm going to add you to both list. IF it works out that we can drop boats, then we can do that. Leme know if it turns out you can work it out. Just needing some rough numbers.

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

3 Mike Butler
    4 Gary Vinyard
    5 Mike McMullin

Who will bringing a boat
    1 John Allen
    3 Gary Vinyard
    4 Mike McMullin

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    so whats all this gonna cost you????

Here is my best guess for cost per individual.

Fuel (assuming 4 to a truck) 80 Per Person
    Food (Bring your own from home, much cheaper) 20
    License 26

Boat Fuel 15 total per person (Safe Bet to plan 5 dollars per
    person per day) I'm assuming each boat
    Burns 20 bucks a day in fuel and every member
    whether a boat owner or not can toss in 5 bucks
    to help with the fuel.

Thats about it. For 4 Days in Alabama, on a WORLD CLASS fishery, cabins included, you can expect to pay less than 150 bucks for everything. Pretty good deal?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009