Gaston...

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by C_wernett, Oct 26, 2006.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was up at Gaston for the first time this passed weekend. However, I was fishing a bass tournament, not cats. But after talking to some locals and seeing the lake, I'd love to get back up that way to fish for cats, and it's only about a three hour drive, which makes it one of the closest big lakes near me.

I spotted a bunch of big shad hanging out in around the dying hydrilla patches, and pods of smaller shad in the middle of the mouths of creeks and coves. Getting bait shouldn't be hard right now, especially if you have a boat.

2. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Conrad,

Zakk should be around soon he and his dad wear out the cats there...i have tried with Zakk but every time I go the fish got the lock jaw sickness....

but there are some big monsters there...

This link may help you...

LINK REMOVED

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

With some great advice from Zakk I am going to the dam area next weekend and hope to slay a few catfish myself. Zakk and hi dad do a lot of fishing and catching there at Gaston. If you have any questions I would ask him, he know's his stuff.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Heck, I might have seen you and didn't even know it. What part of the lake were you fishing? We were out on the lower end of the lake fishing for Blue Cats.

It's a very, very, hard lake. But this time of year is the easiest for sure. Like John said, everytime he has came the big ones have had lockjaw and I don't understand why, last time we did get one 15lber though.

Bait is definitely easy, just throw your net in the creeks at night, esspecially from the creek bridges that have lights on them.

Just ask me any questions you have, and I'll try to help you.

Zakk

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We were staying at AmeriCamps on the VA side. About a half hour ride from the Eaton Ferry Bridge. Can't remember the name of the creek that we left out of right now though. They have a little store there on the camp ground with pictures of some folks who had 30-70lb blues that they had caught rigth there.

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Ooops sorry about the link I wasn't thinking about the competition...

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    We camped and fished at Americamps last October and caught a huge stringer of nice Blue's and Channel's and a few Blue Cats from 20-40lbs. It's Holly Grove Creek, killer for night fishing.

Went out this morning and caught a lot of fish from 5-15 pounds.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I won a bass tournament right there at the bridge at Americamps back in 1988.
    I'll never forget I was prefishing for that tournament and when I prefished that spot I hooked up on a nice bass, about the time I got him to the boat Another boat eased through the bridge culvert there and those guys (bassfishermen prefishing also) wanted to sit and chit chat.
    The whole time I had my rod hanging over the other side of the boat with a 6 pound bass beating the crap out of the bottom of the boat:lol:

The fish I caught on the prefish would have won most of the tournaments I ever competed in.
    Never seen August fishing like that anywhere. August 18th 1988. Some dates you never forget.

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We prefished that Friday before the tournament and found a cove just down from the campsite that we caught three fish and had an estimated 9.5lbs on and left it so that we didn't overfish it. Then a "wonderful" front came through and Saturday it was like a different lake out there. Sunday recovered and we did good, but if we could have done Saturday like we did Sunday, we'd wouldn't have had anyone close to us.

But I kept seeing good sized shad up in the hydrilla and couldn't help to think about those big 'ole cats that swim those waters.