Gasoline, where is your breaking point?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by copycat, Apr 21, 2006.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I just heard an expert on tv saying that gas will probably reach $5.00 per gallon this summer. I have a boat with a chevy 350 i/o in it and I now don't think I can afford to use it at this rate. Also, the boating industry here is getting hurt bad (marinas, etc). I see a lot of boats for sale in my area and none are selling, and the prices are very under valued. What is your breaking point? When do you say "I can't afford to use my boat" I feel that the American public is being ripped off in a big way!

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Well yea! We have been getting ripped off for awhile now. But what do you do?

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    $4/gl is my breaking point, after that happens, its all walking and public trans for me. God, I can't even imaging it reaching $5/gl, that's insane.

4. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I know gas prices suck but what are you going to do
    I don't have a boat but I still have to drive to fish and go to work I am really thinking about getting a mowped to go back and forth from work:)

5. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ

I understand your breaking point to bro

Have you ever been to England the Last time I was there My Wife best friend stop and filled up it was something like 6 and half pounds a gallon that converts to about $11.58 USD

So yes there is worst but I agree

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Hey I know what you do. You look in the FOR SALE section and buy my crotch rocket.

7. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ

Sorry Rip me and crotch rocket get me killed I don't ride bikes for a reason I am sraced to death about them

8. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dunnno but it is starting to get rediculous. I dont think there is much we can do, we are at the mercy of the politicians and oil companies. I drive a diesel and at 80 bucks a tank it is starting to add up fast. I sure wish it would stablize and get a little cheaper, but that sure is wishful thinking! Dam oil companies anyways

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive already reached mine, Im selling my boat, would like to sell my truck and get a moped for now. Ive got 3 junk mountain bikes that Im trying to make one good one out of. There's a small pond about a mile from me that I have already walked to a few times. Seems like big oil and big govt. has us exactly where they want us. Wont be long till a car or truck is for the wealthy only.

10. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    i know what we could do about it but it will never happen,

1. nobody buy gas on sundays NOBODY
    2. everyone who has a car in this country drive to the white house and jam every road in the whole capitol and stay there till they do something,
    3. take a bus
    4. hydrogen is a renewable resorce and the only by product is water

but as you probably said while reading some of these ill never do that, our country somewhere along the line forgot how to stand up for ourselves and we expect someone else to take care of things, think if this happend in the
    60's that is the last time i can think of when people in this country stood up for themselves and their rights,,,,,,,,

11. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Here in quincy gas is up to 2.94. One day it went from 2.84, to 2.94, in only one day, but has stayed at this price for a day or so. I have a Ford with a 351 in it. I get a whole 10-13 miles a gallon. The gas prices make me ride the bus, because it saves me somuch money. It's 10 miles round trip everyday to school. Or i drive my dad's big Powerstroke diseal five speed, it gets about 15-20 on a good day, and diseal is 2.79 also, it's so much cheaper.

12. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    We have a little vacation planned in a couple of weeks that will take about 3 tanks of gas to complete. I'm just hoping it will stay below $3.00 til we get our trip over with.

13. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    tim (ultimacatman) ,
    i like those ideas , i cant see how it could hurt trying one or all of them.
    actually you hear the term /saying take one for the team???
    i say the americanas in close proximity to the capitol do that exact samr thing you speak of .
    at the same time at each state capitol those within a 20 mile radius
    storm the down town sectors clogging arteries and stay put for a good long stand.
    only draw back would be emergency vehicles should be able to get through
    in case of an emergency.

friggin drug lords can call hits and conduct business from behind walls on the streets of america and we the most developed and industrious nation in the free world are letting some damn whitecollar politicos drain our pocket books like we are snotty nosed wussies on the playground giveing up our lunch money, im friggin tired of it.
    i cant see myself paying more and more for gas to get back and forth top work and not be compinsated for it.
    i use my truck all day long not just to and from a factory.
    its to a job and to a store back to job to next job to store to job etc. etc. etc. takeing a moped aint an option or believe me i would.
    im considering comeing to the conclusion to down scale to a 4 cylinder mini truck and peter around in that till i see what gives.
    this damn country is so off balance its crazy.
    the line between wealthy and piss poor is paper thin and i aint wealthy

14. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I don't know how I will make it if it goes to $5 per gallon, I drive 120 miles per day on average. Yea, they got us over a barrel and they are havin their way with us.

15. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    man i don't know but it's getting close.lol i wish i could ride a bus but out here in the boondock the only bus that comes around here is the short bus and acording to my wife i already fell off it:)

i don't think there is a whole lot we can do exepct ask for a kiss because we are already being :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: {oh yeah a family site} i just worry whats going to happen this summer when all the hurricanes hit again. i guess it could hit close to $5.00:sad:

16. Outlw36

Outlw36 New Member

State:
    Prineville, Oregon
    No such thing as public transportation here. Closest thing we have to it is the cars with the red and blue lights on top, and they only make a oneway trip lol.

17. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    the price of gas and diesel will very soon drive the price of everything to the point that most people will not be able to do much of anything but pay for fuel and a little bit of food. My answer to this may not set well with most of you'all but what if we could get people in power to back a plan to stop all imports not just gas and oil for 1 week to put economic pressure on all that feed on the U.S.A. The plan would also stop all outgoing money for the same time period. We Will Win.

18. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    Not my idea, but worth thinking about.
    This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It's worth your consideration.
    Join the resistance! I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.
    Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea. This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!
    The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us!
    By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is Super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.
    HOW?
    Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.
    Here's the idea:
    For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY PRODUCTS especially GASOLINE from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL.
    Their Brands include the following:
    ExxonMobil Exxon Mobil Esso
    Mobil Delvac SpeedPass Mobil1 On The Run
    If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers.
    Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people.
    That's all!
    How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!
    I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.
    If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
    I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 Range and keep it there.
    THIS CAN WORK!!
    [Black, Teo] I don’t buy gas from any of the above….haven’t for years now…so, I am doing MY PART!!!

19. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Sold my boat back in October, not for the gas price, but I was thinking about it this morning while I was filling up on the way to work. I drive 50 miles one way, at least 5 days sometimes 6 a week. My Malibu gets 30 mpg, so I'm not hurting as bad as some, but I'm still at $50 a week just to work and back. Wife works the other way so that doesn't help. Between fuel and medical insurance, where's it going to end? If we keep paying, which there's not much raane of choice for most, the price will just keep climbing.

I don't want to start a messy debate here, but I drive I75 every day, and I have to say that the largest part of vehicles driving the fastest and changing lanes all over are usually those you associate with the highest fuels consumption - PUs and huge SUVs. People will learn to slow down and conserve somehow. Remember Jimmy Carter's 55 mph national speed limit?

I've got 130,000 miles on this car, and when it goes (hopefully around 350,000) I'll be looking at a Cooper Mini. Guess I'll have to sell all the big fishing poles and convert to 2-piece rods!

If you could keep folks from colliding, nuclear powered cars would be the way to go.

ultima_cat_man - by the way, it takes a lot of electricity right now to make hydrogen gas from H2O. The only viable option is fossil fuel to generate electricity for hydrogen production in the near future.

Some of our brighter kids will have the answer some day.

Dennis

20. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    gas is 3.03 here it costs me 188 bucks to fill my ranger up if i fill my ford it costs me 91 and diesel is 3.25 to fill my dodge it costs me 117 bucks my wifes new truck costs about 80. my tracker bass boat costs 64 bucks. where does it stop who knows sitting around complaing wont get anything done there has been lots of ideas over tha past couple of years but it seems no one is willing to do any of them. so if gas gets much high I will have a brand new ranger ranger comanche for sale a tracker 18 foot bass boat for sale and ill prolly sell my ford I just aint going to pay these prices anymore much longer just cant afford it.