Gasoline odors and catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Cathooker, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    On the way to a recent fishing trip I stopped and filled up with gas. I did not wash my hands. My nephew was fishing with me and he did not have gas smell on his hands. He caught 4 to 1 over me and his were bigger also. Since a catfish is a super smelling machine do you think that odors such as gasoline, motor oil etc. hurt your chances of catching fish? I am going to start using those odor remover wipes like I use for deer hunting to remove as much of the human smells as I can. Opinons????

2. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    My favorite spot is where the barges fuel up on my local river. Seems like I always catch at least twice as many here as anywhere else. Never had fuel directly on my hands but you can see the oils in the water all day and it don't seem to bother them.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I understand the logic of Rick's post and have to agree his argument is sound but I believe that, in general, baits tainted with certain substances are less attractive to fish. I think gasoline is one of those substances...W

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    i kind of try to watch whats on my hands, for fear of contaminating the bait. I generally use those blue throw away latex gloves when I'm handling bait. Also, try to keep the bait bucket free of anthing that might contaminated things.

5. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Maybe in that area where the catfish have become accustomed to the smell possibly that particular oil smell would not bother them....however since oil and gas float on water does the smell ever reach down where the cats are? I am not saying that you are wrong I am just trying to answer some questions floatin around in my dumb ole noggin.

6. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I always fuel up they day before just in case. After I catch bait, before I bait my hooks, I rub a dead shad in my hands like a wash cloth then rinse in the lake. Try to cover up my scent, just like fox piss on my boots when deer hunting. Catfish don't smell the same way we do, so something that we smell or don't smell is completely different to them, and I think it has to make a difference. This is also the reason that I don't buy into the theory on baits, that the smellyest or one that stinks the most are the best. It has to be the right smell. This is why I believe that fresh bait is the best, and old rotten shad don't produce as well, at least typically for me.

7. bream reaper

bream reaper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If I must fill up on the way to fishing I rub some dirt/muck/sand, or whatever earth is handy on my hands.

8. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I believe that it makes a big difference. I dont like anything on my hands. I agree with Scott that the smellest bait isnt the best. Always clean hands and fresh bait.

Tom

9. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I had a theory once that as a smoker I was at a disadvantage when i was bassin with a nonsmoking buddy fishing the very same crawfish crankbait I was. The only diff, he was catching all the bass, even fishing the same cast pattern. I would cast to one spot...nothing, then my buddy...bam got one. This baffled me. Whats the deal? The more I examined the situation I deduced the only difference was I had a marlboro lite hanging off my lip. So I doused the smoke, washed my hands with nonscent soap then sprayed a crawfish scent on my bait, hello, I had a limit in no time. So I would bet the farm these cats could smell oders not condusive to the bait...Wash yo hands.

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I agree with the group here. I believe it makes a difference. I usually fill up right before I fish, and sometimes apply sunblock. So I always wear gloves when handling the bait.

11. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I have witnessed the sunblock on the hands turning fish off.

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Alan,
    You are right, oil and gas do float on water but Rick's bait must pick up some of it when it passes through the surface film when he casts.
    Why he catches more around those fuel docks is an intriguing question; maybe cats like heavy fuel oil!!!
    ...W

13. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I thought about that the bait might pick up some of the oil as it passed thru it. Maybe fuel oil is addictive to cats and Rick has a gold mine there.....:smile2: I am willing to try almost anything.....