Gasconade River in Ozarks

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cubedweller, May 11, 2007.

1. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I grew up in that area (about an hour east of Springfield) but never did much catfishing on that river -- mostly just smallmouth and goggle-eye. However, I'm going to be heading down there for a few days next month -- wondered if anyone's ever tried for flatheads on that river?

Thanks!

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Haven't fished it, but I'd be surprised if there were any catfish in it beyond maybe a few small channel cats.

The Gasconade, like most streams in southern Missouri, is a spring-fed, cold water river. Not exactly ideal catfish habitat. As you get closer to the confluence with the Missouri River, though, I'd think there's more likelihood of finding catfish.

Give it a shot and let us know how you do!

3. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the info, and I'll let everyone know how it goes -- that's a month away, but still.

I'll be the first to admit that it's a weird piece of water and doesn't usually fit the mold for a catfish fishery...but I can remember some pretty mean pools when I was a teenager and I was wadefishing for bass. I'll probably do a combination of bass fishing with a minor emphasis on cats. Hedge my bets. ;)

4. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I used to camp on the gascanade as a kid and I have seen some nice cats come out of there seen them up to 45 lbs mostly they was caught on trottlines and using bluegills for bait the biggest i ever caught on that river though was a channel about 10 lbs on rod and reel using worms

5. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    Hey, I will be heading to the Gasconade next month as well...Maybe we should hook-up and throw hooks out. Oh wait, we are going together :tounge_out:

6. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    You hear that, cousin? That's fishin' time. It's coming near. It'll be next week before we know it.

7. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Actually I live very close to the river and it has always had cats but since the MDC BROUGHT BACK those @#$% otters it has went way down on the numbers of fish. If you catch it just right when they’re done nesting you could catch a few!!
    Where on the GASCONADE are you fishing?

8. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    My former neck of the woods is less than 15 miles from Hartville (where the Gasconade picks up the Woods Fork river). There are portions of the river that are pretty clear and cold and great for smallmouth bass, but between those riffles are some mighty nice holes for such a modest river.

It's funny you mentioned the otters -- that's the only river in which I've ever seen otters, but I've only seen them twice. I've got some really good memories of gigging suckers on the Gasconade when I was 16 or 17.

9. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Forget the long story, the short story is that there's too much vegetative growth occurring in some of the slow holes to fish them effectively from the bank. I spoke with a retiree who is very familiar with the river (a friend's father) and he said there were definitely some cats in there, but he doesn't fish for them anymore -- he just goes straight to Truman. We did end up finding a hole full of small gar and a large tupperware box with a dead canine inside. Fun.

The next day was an hour drive south to the Gainesville area for the fish n' float trip on the North Fork of the White River. The 14 mile expedition (putting in at Hammond) produced some catch and release of some nice goggle-eye, some sub-legal smallmouth bass, pumpkinseed, green sunfish, and even a few scrapping rainbow trout. Obviously no cats, but some good stuff nonetheless.

10. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    After about the middle of june the gasconade gets very weedy.

It is better the earlier in the year.

11. hardtime

hardtime New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know about that far up river but I know we (grandfather and me) used to catch some big flats around Helds Island, Browns Shanty, etc. There wasn't much rod-n-reel back then... just a little hoggin' for those that know what that means. :wink:

12. catsblameme

catsblameme New Member

State:
    Missouri
    there are flathead and blues on the gasc. im sure. though the cold water may slow the fishing down they are there. try fishing it like a big river, checking the deep holes etc. i have seen lots of limb and trot lines set on the gasc. near rola.

good luck!