Gas tax refund for off-road use

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by RivrLivn, Feb 16, 2007.

1. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey, I have just mailed off my first request for a refund for the fuel I use in my boat, PWC, ATV, and lawn equipment. I'm supposed to get back $.17 per gallon
    I'm just curious if any other MO BOC members do this?
    I didn't use as much fuel last year due to the price of gas and the lower water levels, but I still used about 300 gallons. So I should be back about $50.00.

2. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I didn't even know that a person could get gas tax money back. Tell me more! How do you apply for it and how do you keep track of your non-road usage? Interesting concept - money back! Won't do any good for last year but I could track it the rest of this year. Great informative post!

3. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Terry,
    Here is the link http://dor.mo.gov/tax/business/fuel/forms/
    I hope it works.
    I filled out and mailed the application form last year, and just now submitted for my first refund.
    I'll let everyone know what happens.
    I hope to get this every year if it works.
    Heck it's just like getting paid to use your boat:big_smile:

4. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Richard, The link worked. I printed off some of the forms. It looks like I have some research to do but it may be well worth the effort. Thanks for the information.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I used to send in the refund claims when I burned auto fuel in my airplane, but I use so little in the boat that it's hardly worth the effort. Might have put 100 gallons through the boat last summer; for $17 it's not worth my time and trouble to keep track of the receipts and fill out all the paperwork...

But I suppose I could try to keep my receipts this year and see if adds up to a decent refund.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Richard this is quite interesting. Is Mo. the only state that does this? Thanks for your help.

7. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Here in Ohio my accountant tells me that I can only deduct the tax on fuels used on a farm or for off road construction equipment but not for receation which includes 4 wheelers unless used on a farm or for business purposes and in boats that are for commercial use only.

8. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have heard that some states do only allow this for commercial use, but Mickey I'm not sure about IL.
    My veterinarian, who has a large twin engine monster boat on Lake of the Ozarks, told me about it. So I figured what the heck, I just have an envelope in the truck that I put all receipts that are for off-road gas.
    I have a 70 gal fuel tank and average about 8-10 gal per hour in the boat, so on a normal year I will use over 500 gallons.
    fishhook, this isn't a tax deduction this is actually a cash refund we have to apply for.
    Like I said, this is my first time trying it, but it seemed worth it for me.

9. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think anytime you can get some tax money back for whatever reason you should go for it if its worth the effort. We're taxed way too much on everything anyway.

10. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just an FYI,
    I got my gas tax credit refund check in the mail yesterday.
    A little less than a month to get the check.
    Not to bad.

11. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    Most of the marinas on the LOZ that sell gas to boators will keep track of the gas for you and give you a total at the end of the year. You just send in the total gallons used with the original receipts and the state of MO. will send you a refund check for .17 per gallon. Fairly simple paper work.

12. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    The Federal Gov. Should also refund the road tax money also but who could think the Feds would be honest enough to give back money they are not owed