Gas question: G3 Outfitter V170 Mossy Oak

Discussion in 'Boating' started by adamant, Jun 26, 2007.

1. adamant

adamant New Member

State:
    new jersey
    my boat has a 22 gal. fuel tank. we went 50+ miles and it took 9.5 gal. to fill it up and the gas gauge read 7/8 full.
    is this common on the g3 boats?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    It might be useful to know the make and model of engine you have and maybe your operating style - wide open or just putting along....

3. adamant

adamant New Member

State:
    new jersey
    thanks for the reply.. my question is about the gas gauge .. using almost half and the gauge reading almost full has me :crazy:..

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have yet to see a gas gauge that I trust, and you shouldn't either. Pay careful attention to time/distance/fuel used, and pretty soon you'll have a pretty good picture of your fuel status.

5. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    ok i have a 22gal tank too and on the water it will read almost 1/4 more than on the trailer on level ground, this is because when at rest the back of the boat is a little lower than the front causing the gas to collect at the back of the tank giving a false reading, the 1/3 rule is best 1/3 tank to go out , 1/3 tank for putting around, 1/3 tank to return. I always check my tank at the pump when i fill it up on level ground you will be supprised what you will read between level ground and in the water take that knollege with you.

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    EXACTLY! Don't trust a gas gauge for nothing. It will just get you stranded. Use it as a reference and once you get a feel for your gas usage, you'll know when you need to gas up. I've got a fairly new boat and the gas gauge is completely wacked out.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a g3... my tank isn't even built in..12 gal.. i don't trust the bastard! lol:smile2: