Gas prices

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by ole whiskers, Aug 8, 2008.

1. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

Do you have any gas saving tips or ideas for boating?

2. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    i sure don't. i have been taking the boat out every weekend and doing some fishing. with the high gas prices it makes it very difficult to do so. usually during a 6 to 8 hour span we only pull in once maybe even twice to change spots if that. i sure hope these gas prices don't get any higher.

3. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am going to be looking at some lakes closer to home, and see if I cant find a place to catch a few.

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Let's get off the price of gas. It's not that bad. If you think about it,there are alot of ways to save money. For instance,that place you stop and eat on the way to work,cook your own food. The soda you buy twice a day,drink water. The coffee from starbucks or wherever,make it at home. People need to give up the dumb stuff before they stop going to the lake. Interesting fact: starbucks regular black coffeecosts around $54 a gallon. Bottled water is around $12 a gallon when bought in small bottles. So lets everyone shut up and deal with it. It's a fact of life,unlike starbucks.

5. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    When it cost me $184 to fill up the boat and jeep with gas,yes,it is that bad!!!!

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

There is alot of sense in what you are saying and I have tried to convey a similar message. A lot of people complain, but are doing nothing about it.

As for the original post. I would recommend finding the closest ramp to the hole you are trying to fish. I'm guessing your truck gets better mileage than your boat. Try fishing close to home. Slow down.............going full throttle takes alot of gas and does not increase speed by a significant amount.

I hope these little tips help some out.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Slow down.............going full throttle takes a lot of gas and does not increase speed by a significant amount. >
    EXCELLENT tip. I have cut my fuel consumption nearly in half by running the boat at half throttle. It takes a little longer to get to your spot, but easier on the pocket. Also, instead of riding miles and miles up or down the river, we have started fishin' much closer to the ramp. Still catchin' fish every time we go. It's also a good idea to "boat pool" just like car pooling. Sharing expenses makes it easier on everybody.
    Bill in SC

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    If everyone would stop for one second and see reality,it's not that bad. If you compare the average inflation of everything else,you will see something. Gas is where it should be. For instance a loaf of bread. When my dad was a kid,it was 5 cents. Now it's over $1.50. That is 30 times what it was 55 years ago. Then,gas was 27 cents a gallon. If the inflation was the same,we would be paying $8.10 a gallon. So let's all complain about wonder bread and all the bread companies of the world. It's a conspiracy,right. Or what about a bottle of coca cola. In 1950,it was again a nickel. Now a 20 oz. is $1.50. Again,multiplying 30 times. If more people would stop listening to the radical left wing news journalists,and open their eyes,we wouldn't complain. The news today is nothing more than a way to put fear in the weak-minded people of this country today. I will now step off my soap box and return to my seat. Thank you,no applause necessary.

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas

Funny thing tho you ain't seeing coke and wonder bread reporting billions upon billions of dollars profits tho.

10. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    No applause given. Do you work for big oil? Sounds like it, especially when studies have proven that big oil would still turn a pofit in todays market if they sold gas at 2006's $2.60 a gallon. Thats not inflation, thats gouging no matter how you look at it. Get real.:confused2:

As for the original theme of this post, I try to save money during the week by cutting back on things and riding a scooter to work so I have spare money left over for the boat and traveling. On the water I try to limit on the water travel and full throttle runs. I also do alot of drift fishing, that seems to help alot.

11. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    well motard if the paychecks had gone up 30times what they were them we would all be great!!! now you tell me that eyerything will work out just fine for a guy that makes $6an hour and has to work 22 hours a week just to pay for his gas to get to work??? or like myself .. i lost a job that i had been at over 10 years because the fuel cost got so high that we couldnt turn a profit on the products that we were delivering.. it had nothing to do with the cost of a loaf of bread !! it was the cost of fuel eating the profits.... i bet your going to vote for obama and over inflate your tires to save fuel right!!!! by the way since the gas price doesnt affect you and you have an over abundance of gas money can you send me a gas card to use when i go to riverbears house to go flathead fishing in a few weeks?

12. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    umm fyi gas prices are NOT on par with average inflation, do some research. I see you are from TX, no wonder you say gas prices aren't bad, haha. Only a fool would believe that. I don't buy starbucks, don't eat out, don't drink pop or beer, or anything carbonated for that matter just water and juice. Still struggle to afford a full tank ($170 for me). then another $126 in the boat almost 300 bucks for 2 full tanks. Thats bad.

13. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I guess you missed the part about radical left wing journalists. The reason oil companies make big profits,is because they have so much invested. Just l;ike the stock market. If you have $100 invested,and make a 10% profit,that equals a profit of $10..Where if you have $1000000 invested,thats a profit of $100,000. Now say thats wrong. Look at the tobacco caompanies,or pharmaceutical companies. Where exxon mobil show profits of 8%-10%,GlaxoSmithKlines profits were 18% last quarter. Same with Philip Morris tobacco. Who's wrong now. It takes true ignorance to believe what you hear on the news. That is being displayed all over this thread. As for voting for Obama,that sob can rot in hell. I have never,nor will ever vote for the left. I don't agree with anything they stand for. And I am from TEXAS,what the hell does that have to do with anything? We aren't all working at big oil companies. I work in aviation,an industry really affected by oil prices. Now let's wait and hear the dumb ass comments about this one. All the info can be found online. Try looking for it instead of spending all day on this forum.

14. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    pepsico first quarter earnings 1.7 billion

15. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    True words of ignorance. Refer to previous post for reasons why.

16. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    :smile2::smile2: talk about ignorance !! you tell us dont believe what we hear on the news then tell us its all on line look it up!!! that is ignorance !! were the hell you think it came from!!! hey they just had an early election and you are now president of the united states!!! [[ now do a google search for motard1 president of the united states and see what happens!!]] just remember you found it online!!!

17. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Ok,once again. Minimum wage in 1948 was $0.48. That makes a 40 hour check $19.20. My paychecks are way more than 30 times that much. If a man works for $6 an hour,he should get a better job. Or possibly an education,then a better job. If you're looking for sympathy or charity,"by the way since the gas price doesnt affect you and you have an over abundance of gas money can you send me a gas card to use when i go to riverbears house to go flathead fishing in a few weeks?" you're barking up the wrong tree. Just do the math,numbers don't lie,but the news does.

18. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    get the point!! just cause you read it dont mean you can believe it!! and by the way we can do without the insults .. your opinion is far from the only one that counts!! plain and simple gas prices make of break the working class people in this country but since since they dont seem to bad to you must do a lot of bumming rides or walking because i have never heard another person with your view on this subject !! tabacco companys dont keep the economy in motion and neither do the pharmaceutical companys.. so i dont give a damn what they do but i need gas to get to work just like everyone else!!

19. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    YOU COULD POSSIBLY BE THE BIGGEST MORON ON THE PLANET. I AM REFERRING TO MAINSTREAM NEWS. FOX,NBC,CNN. THOSE GUYS.

20. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    SO WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS YOU DON'T NEED MEDICATION. IF YOU GET HURT,PUT GAS ON IT. I DON'T BUM RIDES,OR WALK. I LIVE LIFE THE SAME AS I ALWAYS HAVE. NORMAL. NOTHING EXTREME. I DRIVE A NORMAL TRUCK AND LIVE IN A NORMAL HOME. I DON'T LIVE OUTSIDE MY MEANS. MOST PEOPLE LIVE OVER-EXTENDED,PAYCHECY TO PAYCHECK. EVER HEAR OF ADJUSTABLE RATE MORTGAGES? THATS ALOT OF PEOPLES PROBLEM. THEY BOUGHT HOUSES THEY CAN'T AFFORD. NOW THEY WANT THE GOVERNMENT TO BAIL THEM OUT. JUST LIKE FANNIE MAY. LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS.