Gas Prices and fishing

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by canepole, May 21, 2007.

1. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I was out fishing saturday, and I didn't realy think about it at the time,But there wasn't hardly any boaters out there, And I didn't see a single house boat normaly There will be a bunch of skier's and house boats and My fishing will get messed up. I guess there is a good thing about gas prices being so high. But I think I would rather have the skier's and house boats and the cheaper gas.
    I feel like I'm getting robbed every time I get gas, And I guess in away, I am.
    I was planning on taking a trip in July, But will probably cancel.

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    SO far, the gas prices haven't slowed the boaters around here down... at least on the weekends...

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Procrastination: The art of keeping up with yesterday.

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I bought 16 gallons of gas for my boat and it came to 52 dollars! I will not be hammering down the lake full out thats for sure. Trolling from spot to spot seems like a good idea. I to have noticed that traffic is down on Lake Shafer (Indiana). So far the lakes are calm during the week and week ends don't seem as there is that much traffic. Memorial Day is coming and that will be the true test.
    Bill

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    The bass tournament where I was fishing looked to have a good turnout, but it's gonna slow me down some. I'm just glad both boats are full and I can pull either one with my little Ranger and still get over 20 moh so I will still go but not as much.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    gas prices have made me start doing 2 things i didnt use to do.i fish a lake a lot closer to home.and i take people fishing with me.fishing the lake has paid off with some large fish.taking people fishing has let me still fish away from home.i furnish all the rods reels and bait they furnish gas and rig.works for both of us.

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    im with poison!

i am fortunate to live within 20 min-5 min. of about 8 boat launches, and my 4-stroke is pretty good on gas. BUT, i have been taking ppl with me lately to help with the expenses.

its funny last week everybody was talkin' about boycottin' the gas companies. a few days later they put the world in its place with a BONOFIDE rate hike. i have an uncle who is an electrician for one of the gas co.s, i sure wish he was gettin' fat pockets then maybe we could fish more!

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I live forty five minutes away from my favorite fishing hole, i usually go up there 3-4 times a week, but unless i can find someone to go with me im gonna have to cut back!!:sad2:

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We went to the Missouri Gathering,and on the way home,when ever we would stop for Gas,they requested that you pay for gas before you pump! We didn't have to stop more than twice but each time it was pay before you pump. This made me wonder if people previously were getting gas and then refusing to pay for it! As far as taking or go with other folks to help with expenses I think that's an excellent idea.We have to help each other out cause unless someone has been born with a Silver Spoon in their Mouth folks all over are havin trouble with these gas prices.Now that we're on a fixed income it will be very difficult for us! I sure hope and pray that the forcasted $4.00/gallon will not become a reality!!:crazy:

9. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Morning all, I only live 5 mins. from my fav. fishin place on the MO. river and since I bank fish there is no gas for the boat. But with the luck I have had lately I could live on the river and I doubt it would make any difference. The great stories and pics. and my wife keeps telling me my day is coming is what keeps me going back time after time. THANKS EVERYBODY for sharing your fun and trophy's, hope to have a pic. before long.

Catch a big one for me

Kirk

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well It will make me do some things I hate doing I live 50 min from the ramp and my boat has a 18 gal tank that on most days I run 3/4 of it out. Gas hit 3.15 here today I just filled my truck and boat up for a trip tomorrow 127.00 for a 200.00 trip thats not going to cut it for long sorry.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Pat, that has been happening for many years in the places we have lived and been to.. long before the gas price increased. The world is full of thieves.

12. YoungBlood

YoungBlood New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The biggest downside I have going right now is moving home from college! The normal spot was only about 5 min off campus but now have to drive ATLEAST an hour to hit the waters with the guys again. I think we may have to resort to the Carpooling idea! Hopefully it pays off this summer though and I'm able to land that big one now too!

13. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I don't have a boat, but I know the gas prices will hiner me from driving to where my future father in law has his boat. There was a time when I didn't really think about filling up my tank, but now i cringe everytime I put gas in my truck.

14. katfishbangin

katfishbangin New Member

State:
    Indiana
    After the bills are paid i have enough gas to get me to the lake. money on the lake or in the tank. just get me to the lake. :cool2:

15. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hi all, what makes me so mad about these already unbearable gas prices
    is , you can look across the road and the other greedy BUTTHOLES are
    even higher. i thought that crap was considered price gouging , and supposedly illegal but you don`t see the law enforcing that!!!
    what it amounts to is our government likes watching the other FATCATS
    line their pockets with the working man/and working ladies money!
    chris, selma nc

16. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ok here is what really gets me I filled up my boat and truck at 9am for 3.15. Just went back to town to eat and meet some people and on the way back it is now 3.29. it jumped 14 cent in 10 hours come on .

17. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    heck ive seen it go up 10 cents within a HOUR.... now come on i konw for a FACT that the oil prices didnt go up within a hour like that!!

BULL CRAP!

18. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Gas prices went up .30 in three days here I have both boats full but hate the thought of refueling.

19. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va

Tim, Unfortunately this may just be the beginning to the end for a lot of people. I am new to this board but have already gained a lot of useful tips from your post. You seem to be a really nice guy and I am sure that the price of one of your guide trips will have to go up quite a bit if the gas prices continue to climb and some predict $4.00 a gallon is not far fetched! Think about the guys in your line of work that do the offshore trips, I hate to think of what their cost will soar to. Just the boat industry in general, how many people will be going out to buy a product that everytime they take it out for the day will cost them 25 or 30 gallons of gas not to mention the fuel mileage from the tow rig. I was reading a piece on CNN news that said that over 31% of people had already cut back on dining out to offset the higher fuel cost. Unfortunately this is just the start I am afraid to the trickle down effect on our economy. I wished I had answers to it though instead of just questions. I know I fish more and ride less and I have a tin bass boat with a rude 50 that does pretty good on fuel, I can do about 4 fishing trips on a tank, fishing instead of riding!

20. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    We have started a seprate bank account for R V and boat gas. We stick in what we can, when we can, when thats all gone we will just fish local, close to home waters.
    Keystone 5 trip will drain that account. But we will be there......10 days and counting.