Gas Prices and Fishing

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jailcop2, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I don't know about you all but gas prices are killing my fishing . Being new to the area I live in it is taking time to meet the right people to get on good fishing water .All my old spots are atleast 35 miles away , and with my current financial situation even this is a strain . Small lakes and ponds close to home are what I am spending my time fishing . No boat , rough banks make it hard to find the prime spots . Any suggestions on how to locate fish would be very much appriciated .
    Thanks
    Brian

2. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Where in Iowa are ya at hoss?

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I live in Tabor Iowa
    Brian

4. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Brian, I feel the pain, My boat gets 2 miles per gal. A,28 gal. tank is mean at the service station.......plus the truck..........

5. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Gas prices are really starting to suck, but I love fishing so much I just set aside the extra money for gas :tounge_out:

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    My boat holds 64 gallons of gas my truck holds 60 of diesel but I pay it.

7. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    my boat holds 2 oars and my wife to use em...hehehehehe

8. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Chris, You can't pull that s#@t on my wife....hu

9. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Try to find a partner in your area with the same interests, and a boat. If he fishes much, chances are he has a good spot or two. Just offer to share expenses, and you should do ok. I know the gas, and heat is slowing everyone down. It kinda makes me sick to think that the Arab's are paying 30 to 40 cents per gallon. Makes me want to build a still, and manufacture my own ethanol. If anyone is near this brother raise your hand to him, help a brother out, and meet a friend you haven't met yet.

Good fishin', and good luck! Jack.

10. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i was thinking about this problem before i bought my boat i bought a 14' v bottom with a 15hp evinrude 6 gallons last me all weekend mabe you should think about downsizing thats what i did:wink:

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Yes It Has Slowed Down Some Of My Activities But It Surely Will Not Stop Them.

The Way I See It Is Like This, "If You Can't Have Some Fun ?, What's The Since In Working ?"

It's Only My Outlook But I Don't Think I'm Totally Off Base :roll_eyes: Elliot

12. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    i spect i'd whup bout gas prices if i didn't spend 10 or so dollars a day on scratch-off tix. dump the lottery and skoal and i could drive 4-ever.

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I dont fish everytime I go to lake. I just like going, checking out the banks, woods and fish when I can.

Gas and fishing/lake time aint mixing well with me either.

Money is very tight around here.

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Chris, I just don't see Linda rowing your butt around. I believe you'd find out what an oar tastes like before too long! he,he,he.
    Anyway, I feel everyones pain in this. I spent $65.00 for gas for the boat yesterday. The marina's are 50-75 cents a gallon higher then everyone else.

15. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Since gas prices have gone up I do not get to the lake as often but I have a small river 3 mins up the road, a medium size river 10 mins up the road, and a big river 15 mins up the road. I cheaped out and did not buy the gas motor for the jon boat so all I have to feed are the fish, the cooler and the truck.
    At $ 3.05 and rising, I am feeling fortunate.

16. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Prices are killers and steady going up, told the wife that I am going to have to get another job just to buy gas. If I fish local I can get by with the trolling motor and a little gas. Soing out on the river takes a tank plus some. Right now the hours I am working does not leave alot of time for fishing. Hope that changes soon.

17. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    here's my solution. go around to garage sales and such and buy any old trolling motor you can find. then hook them all up! i plan to water ski behind my minn kota's as soon as i find enough :lol:

18. Trojan

Trojan New Member

State:
    tn
    Hey, I too am watching my trips to the lake. I have been fishing the closer places rather than the BEST places. I don't see any end in sight.:sad2:

19. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    You know guys and gals.
    People have families that all this has effected. . Little fun , not greedy, just some good Ol family , Kids/family, fun is good for America. Values.
    That aint happening as much these days.
    I aint talking bout spoiled etc.
    Oil has effected everything.

Anyway, Take care of family.

God Bless all
    Dano