Gas outboard or electric trolling motor for canoe?

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by veryama1975, Jan 28, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    What do you guys think would be better for a fishing canoe: a small gas outboard (2hp-4hp) or an electric trolling motor? A friend told me that he could run almost all day on one battery with his trolling motor. What do you think--would the river drain the battery too fast? Or, is the canoe light enough that it would last a while?

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I had a 17' canoe at one time and I used a trolling motor with a deep cycle battery and I could fish all day and then some. It was all I needed on there:wink:

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    My neighbor has a aluminum flat back canoe that he uses an electric trolling motor on and swears by it. He trolls for crappie all day with no problems. Alot lighter than gas to. Think of yourself when the time comes to get it all out of the water:wink:

4. seagrave

seagrave New Member

State:
    sc
    you could always go up river first and if the battery dies you are okay

5. jrbb00

jrbb00 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just about to put a trolling motor on my Discovery 133. From all the advice on this fourm that should be plenty to push me around all day and then some. The Endura 30 is what I am going with and a deep cycle battery.
    Good Luck

6. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I would use a 50 lb thrust trollin minn-kota. you wont plane out, but you'll get around.

7. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Do you think a 35 or 40lb thrust trolling motor would be enough? Wal-mart has them for $164.

8. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    it all depends on the current.. i have done both on my canoe. you can pretty much scoot around all day on a battery, but those batteries are big and very heavy to lug around. i also have 1.5h gas motor that doesnt weigh much and moves quite well , an extra gallon or two of gas and your out and about for the day.......what.s the better deal? electric is quieter but i have found not as easy to load /unload.etc..btw, dont go alone. the wind caught me once , took me across the lake and i had to walk most the way back .. that really sucked:angry:

9. catfishingham

catfishingham New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have an Old Town 16' C160 I plan on using localy
    (small water), but would advise using a gas motor for bigger water or extended trips. I had a 3.3 HP, ( it got stolen :sad2:), mercury that worked extremely well on the Ohio river. Now I am looking for another 3.3.

Catfishingham

10. Flathead101Va

Flathead101Va New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have used a 35# thrust trolling motor with a good deep cycle battery on a 17' OT Tripper and Discovery 169. Never had a problem with the battery running low and could fish all day. IMO, go with a trolling motor.

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    either one should do fine

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    awww, heck. go ahead and mount a 25-30 horse two stroker, and some wheelie bars to it.. lol

13. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Be careful if you add power to your canoe or kayak. Lots of states require you to register them if gas or electric power is added. :angry: