gas outboard for trolling

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by cliff n york, Feb 20, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i know a lot of people use electric trolling motors for trolling,but does anyone sill use a gas out board, and if so why.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I used electric bow & stern.I used gas side & stern mount on a canoe.I used 2 hp to 9.8 hp. gas to troll rivers,lakes,bays and ocean for 45 years.I had 8 usable boats under 17 ft. that I used for my different fishing and locations. I am a invilid now,but I would still use them today if I could.I use them because they work.Each has it's place.I often spent days in my small boats in remote spots or offshore where I had no electricity available to charge batteries or had not the time span necessary.I started this in 1953.

I also carried along and used a small auxiliary gas engine in the boat to "GET ME BACK" so it was available.I never remember being towed and never had to worry about current direction "just in case".

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.

3. tonyc662

tonyc662 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    For crappie i use electric,walleye i use gas.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I only use one for drift fishing ,its electric

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I sold a 17ft War-Eagle with a Yamaha 25 4-stroke on it. That is the reason I bought that boat.
    And that is one reason for Ordering the new Lund 1825 Pro Guide Tiller with the Evinrude 90 E-Tec tiller is to troll for catfish.
    But I use the outboard to hold the boat in the current and fishing 40+ yards behind the boat. I catch lots of fish doing this. Small and even big blues.
    Say the current is running 2.3 MPH I slow the boat to around .03 PMH or so. Just moving down river slow.
    Love fishing this way, And the reason is boat control. Hope to try back trolling into the current with the New boat. And see how well that works.
    But will have a 80 lb Power Drive trolling motor with auto pilot on front and a Minn kota 3-X on the transom.
    Pete

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I troll with the gas motor when going from spot to spot. It takes longer to get there but saves gas and I never know what will be on the end of the line.
    Bill

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have a Merc 9.9 kicker on mine partly for that reason. Good for wind and current for boat control. Can troll at any speed needed. If on the water all day I don't have to worry about trolling motor going dead. Also able to put the boat on smaller lakes with hp ratings.