Gas oil Mix question

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Salmonid, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok, I hope this is my last question for today. I bought this fancy Oil mix stuff made specificaly for water coled boat motors, it is Evinrude/Johnson XD-30 oil. anyways nowhere on the package or on the website does it say how much to mix per gallon of regular gas ( 50:1 ratio) for use and i know every other 2 cycle engine oil has different amounts to use so Im at a loss and its Sunday and all 12 dealers I called or loked up the websites for are all closed today so I really want to run the boat tonight so can anyone help me out here?? Many thanks
    Salmonid

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Not sure about that particular oil... I looked around on the net and couldn't find the answer to your question. What i'd do is go and pick up some other oil and use it for today and then you can use your other one when you contact your dealer you bought it from. It will get used sooner or later. Its not worth guessing and taking a chance at losing your powerhead..... Hope ya get it figured out.

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Mark, Here is something else to look out for, I've seen where Willard and Bob have said not to mix different oils in a tank. They say it don't always jive together. They will be around later with the info you need.

ST

4. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Sorry your having such a problem. I believe 50 to 1 ratio is correct. It should be listed in your manual for your motor. I agree that it's best to stick to the same oil though. I use to have a Bass Pro party Barge with a 40 hp Johnson motor that was oil injected and it just had an oil resovoir tank that was under one of the rear seats. All you had to do was keep the thing filled up and it would automatically add the proper amount to the gas mnixture for you. I like no guesswork like that. i have mixed gas and oil before and it never fails I get it too rich and the engine smokes like yer smokin bbq brisket. Not very good on plugs either. Hope you get it figured out and have a great trip.
    :cool2:

5. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    The amounts for 50-1 mixture is 1 pint to 6 gallons. You use that oil the same as you would other outboard motor oil. It is just Johnson & Evinrude's own brand of oil. The main differance is that outboard motor manufacturers promote their own brand of oil. They also have the oil manufacturer make that oil to their specs. It's better than just regular 30 weight oil. It also has differant additives than automobile oil.

Jesse

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Thats just the newest oil out for outboards, it mixes the same as other 2 cycle oils. It's suppose to burn cleaner and leave less residue on your plugs for faster startup. I have a 90 hp johnson with a VRO pump and thats the oil I use. Its red in color and seems a little thinner then the oil I had been using.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You mix it with 16 oz to 6 gals of 87 octane or better fuel. The biggest difference is it doesn't have as much ash in it. You can get the same results from super tech off the shelf at walley world if you gap those plugs at 40 instead of 30 At a whole lot cheaper price to.

Be sure you have your orignal tank of fuel burned down low enough so you won't have much to mix with the HD 30

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Right on Willard, that 's the only oil my Yamaha has ever had... starts and runs just like it did new, 12 years ago. :smile2:

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks folks, I did get it figured out at just under 2 oz per gallon, ( gallon weighs 6 lbs= (16 oz times 6 = 96 oz per gallon, times 4 gallons = 384 Oz devided by 50 = about 7.7 oz for 4 gallons,) :tounge_out:

Tok the boat out and it ran great, go figure, :crazy:

Thanks again for everyones help!!

Salmonid

10. COB

COB New Member

State:
    Huntsville, AL
    Mark,

I awful sure that the 50:1 mixing ratio is based on volume not weight. The proper ratio for 4 gallons of gas would be 4 gal. x 128 oz. / 50 (ratio) = ~10 oz.

11. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    anyone else want to pitch in here, Now Im corn-fused as all get up...I thought I had it and was explained it was by weight vs volume?
    HELP......Im melting here with brain overload....

Salmonid

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Go to Wal-Mart and buy a 2-stroke oil mixing jar - back in the boating section, it's a plastic bottle with graduations on it that shows where to fill with oil for various mixing ratios, based on how much fuel you're mixing it with. Here's an example of such a bottle: http://www.boatersworld.com/product/176971406.htm

So if you put 4 gallons in your tank, you find the 4 gallon mark for the 50:1 mixture and put in that much oil. Dump it in your tank and go fishing.

All mixtures are based on volume, not weight. Nobody is smart enough to do it by weight, and it wouldn't make sense anyway given the differences in weight of gas and oil.

50:1 means 50 units (gallons or ounces or whatever unit you want) of fuel to 1 unit of oil.

6 gallons = 768 oz. -- divided by 50 is 15.36, round that up to 16 oz (1 pint) and call it close enough.

3 gallons = 1/2 pint

12 gallons = 2 pints

13. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    Mr. T is right
    I usually get gas in 6 gallon increments
    6 gal = 16 oz of oil
    12 gal = 32 oz of oil

and that little measuring thing from walmart is great,especialliy if you buy oil in the gallon.

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  15. Trueblue

Trueblue New Member

State:
    California
    thanks for all your info i'm a new owner of my first 14 foot aluminum boat
    and did not no the fuel to oil mix thanks.

16. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    my son uses one of those measuring bottles so that whenever he tops off his portable tank he just adds the right amount of oil for however much gas that registers on the pump to fill the tank. I don't worry about it, I just fill my onboard tank with premium gas, my motor has a VRO pump which mixes the oil automatically and I use that XD-30 oil which burns cleaner and my motor starts quicker then with the regular two cycle oil.

17. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    I also think it's measured on volume. The most important thing to remember is to always measure the oil, don't guess.

I have two 6 gallon tanks for my 2-cycle Merc. I run one empty then switch to the other. That way it's always, one pint to the 6 gallon tank.