Gas Mileage & Ford 250s & 350s

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by oh no, Apr 6, 2008.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My F250 was pulling one way then the other, all winter. Well, turns out the brake calipers were sticking. I have just turned over 100,000 miles on this 2000 truck. The calipers were not just sticking, 2 [ drivers front & passenger rear] were flat stuck.

After all new calipers, new pads and 1 new rotor , this darn truck rolls and my fuel mileage has really improved.

If my truck did it, I'm sure there are other trucks out there that have the same problem. It just gradually sneaks up on you, and you don't think of it as a brake problem.

If your old Ford ain't what she used to be, check those calipers.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What kind of mileage do you get on it now?

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks Jim, good advice. I replaced mine a few years ago on my 91 along with the rotors cause I thought one was dragging too much. It helped for sure. I got 270K on my 91 diesel and still going strong. I do need to go ahead and do a new pump and injectors soon though, still original. I am probably losing some power and mileage cause of those having so many miles on them.

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm back up to 14 mpg or so. It's a 5.4 Triton, 4x4, 5 speed stick, BF Goodrich Mud Terrians, F 250 Super Duty, cab and 1/2, 8 ft bed.

It goes good now.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Thanks for the info.

6. Orlando

Orlando New Member

State:
    kansas
    Sounds like the nature of the beast. My 2000 f250 superduty crew cab had new calipers at 106,000. The 5.4 gets about 14 max. Did load it up and pull a buddy's boat over Berthoud Pass Colo and got 11...was real happy with that!

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana

There you go, I'm not the only one. lol:big_smile::tounge_out:

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    WHAT 14 mpg!!! Man I Only wish? I drive a 3/4 ton chevy HD and the best I have ever gotten is 12 mpg, don't care if I'm driving 65 with a 60mph tailwind or pullin the boat drivin 80 into the wind. It never changer more than 2 mpg.the only thing that is wearin out is the on the Dam truck is the GAS DOOR,LOL Man I Love that Truck. J.D.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'll humor you gas burners with my milage on my 01 stroker,Before I put my welding bed on it --------27mpg--------------after------------------19.5mpg. I'm happy with it,but thinkin bout taking the bed off and puttin a box back on it.

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I was getting 23mpg on my 97 F250 HD with a 7.3 powerstroke with the 3:55 gears that it came with but I changed to 4:10 gears for more pulling power that dropped me to 17mpg then I added a complete Banks power pac and now I get 19mpg although its probably increased a little more sense I started burning a used cooking oil mixture in it. I do know it runs smoother and has a little more pickup with the oil which I was told by a diesel machanic that it adds a little horse power because it burns hotter as well as lubs the engine better then regular diesel fuel and besides the fact it only cost me about .60 a gallon to make. I also use it in both my farm tractors.

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Trouble with those diesels is the price. 8k plus new and 5k more used. It will take me a long time to use 5k more worth of fuel, from 14 to 19 or 20 mpg.

I had a 91 Dodge with a Cummins, it was a good truck, good fuel mileage. Used to get 14 with truck camper pulling a boat.19 empty. My 5.4 gives me 9 doing that same job with the camper and boat.

12. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I just priced a new ford. The diesel is a 6000 dallor option. I ended up with the 5.4 because I cant gain enough mileage to make up the cost difference. I do know one thing. With the price of diesel the price of used ones have come down alot. I talked with one dealer and he was complaining about taking trades of diesel because of the cost of the fuel was hurting resale.

13. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    It wouldn,t take long to make up the differance at todays price of diesel fuel which around here its $4.20 a gallon. Thats why I went to burning used cooking oil at .60 cents a gallon, another advantage of a diesel.

14. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Ford just plain fumbled the brakes on the 250s and 350s. I love Ford trucks but man the brakes suck. I've put countless sets of rotors, calipers and pads. They just don't have enough rotor surface to stop a load. The width of the pads is barely larger than my wifes exploder. My problem is warping. I get about 15k on the rotors and the wheel goes to shaking. I've used powerslot rotors, which went real quick, and cross drilled rotors which cracked. I talked to a guy with the highway emergancy folks here in Atlanta and they had the same problem on all their 350s. They are now going to the 550s. Anyone having these types of problems?

15. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I used to get 20-21 on my 91 diesel years ago....but looks like I'm getting about 16 these days. Hope to see an improvement when I overhaul the fuel injection. Diesel is way high these days but at least mine was paid for 10 years ago and doesn't owe me a dime at this point. I can't complain about it's reliability over the years, few problems. :big_smile:

16. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    the older stuff is better my 84 E150 has over 450,000 miles on the same drums and rotors never turned..

Ford actually does not recommend turning the rotors on the newer vehicles just replace pads. or rotors and pads

Dodge was makin' them thin starting about '87

The metelurgy is just not what it used to be..maybe cryo treat the rotors

17. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Here is my deal........ I have an overhead camper that I want to use, I also have a conversion van that I can use. If I use the van then I have to move it every day to put the boat in and out when out camping. Brings me back to the overhead camper. I can drop it and use the truck. So I got to looking on lots today and found a decent 84 F250 longbed with a Diesel engine, not sure of size, for around 3 grand. all undercarriage looks good, no rot in the body, and interior looks good. Window sticker says low mileage Engine Which I assume its been replaced at some point. I don't know much about diesels other than they get better mileage and last longer, have better torque. With all this said, What are some honest opinions on the ford Diesel from that year, and what should I look out for? I appreciate any information given. Mac

18. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    if you are looking at ford diesels try to shoot for 1988 up that is when they started using the 7.3 that is a much better engine.. the 6.9 that is in the truck you are looking at has a bad rep for bottom end trouble and the earlier 6.9s had lots of cylinder head cracking issues.. i just sold an 89 250 with a 7.3 that had 480000 on it and still running strong!

19. CAPTIN BILL

CAPTIN BILL New Member

State:
    north carolina
    pre 89 diesels used in cars and pickups used a regular block with steel sleves in them ,89 and new'er had the blocks built for the added stress and touque of the cranks and pistons , far fewer problems since then...also with the new add ons for the diesels you can add more mpg, and power by installing some after market add ons , IE; exhaust's and airflow intakes, and power tuners....

20. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know nothing about Ford diesels. I have a Cummins in a 91 Dodge that is a good motor.

Update on my Ford 250. 3 weeks ago I needed to disk up my 2 acre garden. Darned old IH 400 did not want to start so I hooked up the 10' wheel disk to my Ford. Boy I whipped out that field in no time. 4 wheel low with those BF Goodrich Mud Terrains and I don't think I spun a tire. Really cut down the corn stalks.

Well after I unhooked the disk and went to park the old girl by the house, my brake pedal went to the floor. Brake line going to the back wheels is leaking on the side by the fuel tank. I guess the bouncing around in the field got it to leaking. Must have been rusted and about ready to go.

In summary, all 3/4 and 1 ton 4x4s are like having an extra 3 bottom tractor. LOL