gas milage ?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by blkile, Feb 13, 2009.

1. blkile

blkile New Member

State:
    mo
    I am in the process of purchasing an 18 ft alweld with a 150 merc w/jet. I have spoke with several people who know boats and they have told me this is one of the worst motors for gas milage. The seller stated that it would get about 4 miles per. Can anyone help me on this. What is about average for a boat and motor this size. Thanks Bobby

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i dont know bro good luck

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi,
    I not sure it will help, but I have added a once of pure actone per 5 gallons of fuel, it ups the octane and help atomize it to burn more complete. It has given me a better mpg, I have not checked per gps, just when I fill up, I noticed a change in how much is put in!

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    They usually say that a jet is about 30% less efficient than a prop. 4 mpg for that big jet seems reasonable, there are a lot of variables relating to the boat, how it is loaded, how hard you push it, etc that come into play. I run a 60hp 4 stroke prop outboard on a 16 foot vee bottom, and I can get 12mpg if I really try, but more typically I average 6-8 mpg in mixed use.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, jets are more inefficient, but certainly have benefits in shallow water. I guess I get about 4/5 miles per gallon with my 200 Mercury with prop.

Bill in SC

6. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Im kind of curious about that to, I was considering a jet drive for our 88 hp, I will have to start lookin for stats, and ask some marine mechanics about that,I was wondering when going through the shallow water if it draws sand and things through the impeller,and how that affects things

7. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My motor is a 2009 Mercury 90hp four stroke on an 18 foot Crestliner welded jon side console. I couldn't imagine getting any better gas mileage than it already gets. Went out the other day and ran over 60 miles, average speed of 40mph with a full load and 2 people, and only burned 6.2 gallons. And, it has a fuel leak from a damaged main fuel line. So, I think you'll be satisfied although the jet will likely use more fuel than a prop. Chris

8. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    You're right about that engine being thirsty. I run a 50hp yamaha jet drive and if I have much weight in the boat, I can go through a 6 gallon tank of fuel in a hurry. If I'm loaded normal though and don't gun it the whole time, I can do considerably better. I'm not sure exactly how much mileage I'm getting though.

After I get a few things paid off, I'm going to look into getting a setup just like what you are talking about. I love my little jet, but would prefer to have a bigger rig for the big Missouri.

9. bassgasm2002

bassgasm2002 New Member

State:
    sc
    i got a 150 tower of power merc. favorite motor ever. absolutely terrible on gas. it loves the stuff. thirsty. gotta have it. did i mention it's rather inefficient? oh and it's kinda loud too. i do love it though and the 41 yr old boat it's hangin on!

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I quoted a day or two ago that I thought I was getting 4/5 mpg with my 200 Black Max Merc. i just put a gps on my boat, and checked it yesterday. It is getting exactly TWO mpg!!!!! However:

<i got a 150 tower of power merc. favorite motor ever. absolutely terrible on gas. it loves the stuff. thirsty. gotta have it. did i mention it's rather inefficient? oh and it's kinda loud too. i do love it though>

I also LOVE my engine, and it's not too loud.

<My motor is a 2009 Mercury 90hp four stroke on an 18 foot Crestliner welded jon side console. I couldn't imagine getting any better gas mileage than it already gets. Went out the other day and ran over 60 miles, average speed of 40mph with a full load and 2 people, and only burned 6.2 gallons. And, it has a fuel leak from a damaged main fuel line.>

THAT is absolutely astounding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't know how to act if I had a gem that got that kind of mileage. I'm sure if my 200 Black Max was on an aluminum jon, it would do a heap better than it does on my 20 foot long 7 foot wide fiberglass barge.

Bill in SC

11. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes, jet motors like gas much more then the prop motors. Depending on the type of motor can also play into how much gas it takes. Four strokes and the optimax motors are much better on fuel economy then the 2 cycle motors.
    To get the most fuel efficiency with your out board there are a few things to consider. Never under horse your boat to begin with. Put the largest motor on your boat you can afford. If you under horse the boat then you will be constantly be driving at top speed or rpm, therefore burn more gas. If you haven't under horsed the boat then drive it at 3/4 throttle. This will definitely improve the mpg. :wink:

12. Jadkins

Jadkins New Member

State:
    Connersville, I
    Well Said