Gas leak

Discussion in 'Boating' started by ncfowler, Nov 25, 2006.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    yesterday i went and put gas in my boat, ( built in tank) this morning there was some fule in the builge not a lot just a few drops, but there is gas smell I shook it off I did drip a few drops of gas while gasing up, this morning when i got to the duck blind there was more fule in the builge and the smell was a little stronger. when i got back to the ramp i went to the lot and opened up the access area and found the hose clamp for the vent was loo se as well as the gas line clamp, only thing i can figure out is the gas was leaking when the motor was running, when i got home I flushed the builge and put a bucket at the drain hole so far no gas but the smell is still storng , I have the boat up high so it will drain in the bucket. I can't figure this one out , I hope the tank does not have a hole or crack, duck season is just starting i would not want to put in shop ( boat is still under warranty) If i found it is leaking I'm going to call the dealer and let them know and empty the tank and run a portable 6 gal tank until the season is over and then send it to the dealer, I'm told that all repairs have to go back to mfg lowe boats. this means no boat for at least 2-3 months. I'll kep you all posted, also does any one know how to get gas residue out off with out killing the builge paint. thaks just venting

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    well the I had the boat up all night and this morning no gas not even a dorp even after i ran the motor for 15 min at diffrent rpms but the gas smell is still there so i cleaned out the hull with some degresser and flushed it with water, I did the run test again for another 15min this morning and leveled the boat, with any luck i fixed the leak. thanks for your ear sometimes i need to talk to figure out what to do.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sometimes talking will let a man know where to look. As for the fuel residule on the boat The only thing I have used with little results is go joe and let it air out real good. As for the fumes you might check your vent line and see if it is stopped up from a dirt dobber or spider. They love building nests in vent and water tell tell lines.