gas leak

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SwiftWater, Aug 15, 2006.

1. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    I have a new (less than 30 hrs) on my 2 stroke Yamaha outboard. I noticed yesterday that gas has been leaking down the shaft of the motor. I took it out yesterday and it was hard to crank, but once it was going it ran good and it started no problem the rest of the day. I replaced the spark plugs last week so I know they are good. I've inspected under the cowling and there is no gas leaking from hoses or carbs. To tell you the truth I don't see any signs of gas inside the cowling, it's clean. Just a few minutes ago I tried cranking it and raw fuel was flowing from the exhaust through the hub. Is this normal?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    No that is not normal. If it is still under warenty I would take it back to the dealer, because it sounds like you have a flooding problem.

3. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    Bubba, I don't disconnect the gas line and my boat sits outside in the sun. I've noticed that pressure is building up inside the portable tank. Do you think this is causing it to flood? I haven't had this problem till this week so I doubt that is the case. It is under warranty so I will take your advice and take it to a dealer.

Thanks,
    D

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Try disconnecting the fuel line for a couple days and see if that will ease it up. I would still take it in because those needles should seat well enough to prevent that. I would also leave the vent open on the fuel tank.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Gas coming out of the exhaust? Pull your plugs and crank the engine with the lanyard pulled so it won't spark. If you get alot of gas out of a cylinder then you've got a faulty fuel pump.