Gas gauge problems

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by wpsatisfide, Mar 29, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Ok i rewired my boat and everything is working. I was hoping problem was a short in wire for gas gauge but it apparently wasnt.

The gauge works fine at full and down to 3/4 of a tank. Once it gets below that it will bounce around and gives a wide arrange of readings. I usually go with the highest it bounces but that isnt very accurate.

What could the problem be? Id probably be better off replacing the whole thing, but I dunno how involved that would be. Also my gas tank is under my center console and it would take a lot of work to remove that to be able to get to the tank.

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    sending unit, kevin - with key on, boat still(on the trailer), disconnect the sender - if the gauge goes to steady empty, then you have just proven me right:)

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Your gauge should have 3 wires. I, G, & S should be marked on the back side next to the connections,

I, for the 12v ignition wire. Color code in most boats would be purple(Key on ignition)
    G, for the ground wire to the tank. Color code, black
    S, for the wire going to the sending unit. Color code would be pink, and very low voltage.

Be sure your wired right and have good connections.

The sending wire goes to the middle of the sending unit and the black, usually to one of the screws that holds it in place.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Aww gee guys you two have already give the best answers.:thumbsup:

5. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thanks for help guys. When I get a chance to be at home during daylight hours I will give that a try

6. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    If You Changed Any Of The Gauges, Make Sure That You Didn't Use An Automotive Gauge. They Run On Differents Ohms Than Marine Gauges. Be Sure To Check Your Grounds Again. Boats Are Notorious For Weak Ground Signals. Good Luck!

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    There was an excellent article in one of the boating magazines a while back about replacing the float type fuel sending unit with an electronic one to eliminate this problem.If it reads good at full and 3/4 then once you get to 1/2 that float is sloshing around with each bounce of the boat and the reading is oscillating all over the place.I cant remember which magazine but it would almost have to be TRAILER BOATS OR BASS & WALLEYE BOATS.I would bet on the later because they have more technical articles.You might go to those websites and research a little and find it.:)

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That just seems to be a characteristic of float type sending units.