Gas can help

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Veets, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Veets

Veets Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't know it this has been covered somewhere else in this section. Don't have the time to read everything so I've started this thread.

I have a 5 hp Evinrude, older motor, runs fine but I'm having problems with the double line gas can. I checked at the local boat shop and was told that the old two line cans were extremely hard to get. They had several that needed to be checked out to see if they were even serviceable. I was told that if they found one that was good enough to repair it would cost a minimum of $75.

Any suggestions or help? Can the old motors be modified in some way to accept a newer gas supply? Are repair kits available for these older gas cans that would allow me to repair mine myself? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yes jim they have rebuild kits for them. I don't have a link handy right now but sometimes today I will find one for you. I have seen those tanks sell for as much as 400 bucks in good shape. The tank in good shape is worth more to a collector then the motor.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jim, that was a good tank when you got it, and it's definately worth the rebuild kit. Don't change anything on that motor or you'll reduce it's value.

As I recall, I paid 45.00 for the tank.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Here's a few pics of Jim's motor.

Attached Files:

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    And two more of that 57' Evinrude. And it's a 5.5

Attached Files:

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Like Bob said don't change anything on that little jewel, she is a beaut.

Try this guy and he should be able to help on the tank kit.
    http://www.maxrules.com/

This is a diag of the instlation of the kit.

7. Veets

Veets Member

State:
    Illinois
    I couldn't get the motor to start the other day and I noticed that there was gas leaking from beneath the pressurizing button on the tank. I was eventually able to get the motor to run fine but I had to pump the button numerous times and more than a few ounces of gas leaked out. I'm sure it's a gaket or seal of somekind. Should be a minor repair but finding the parts is what is difficult.