Gas at $2.49 a gallon!?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by RIVER-RAT, May 29, 2008.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
  2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I would say it is a great idea but I am sure that it would cause people to yell about private enterprise and the polititions [sp] having any control of it but it would help the poor man a lot

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I agree, it would sure help me out alot, I'm sure there are many more americans that could benefit from lower fuel prices. $4.00 a gallon is killing me! :angry:

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Would be nice but will never happen.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm all for lower gas cost but that sounds a little stupid to me.

With cost of gas mainly being 72% for crude oil.
    The oil companies do not set the price of crude oil. That is determined by the world's oil-exporting nations particularly OPEC and crude oil options at the NY mercantile exchange.

Light sweet crude has been easier to find but recently supples are low. There is plenty heavy sour crude available over the world but US refineries can't handle it. It would take costly revisions that they should be working on but environmental laws help hold them back.

Another problem.. Washington legislation is requiring more ethanol blended gas that is 4 to 12% more expensive than regular gas.

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Due u not remember California capping energy in their State and the problems/shortages it caused????? PLZ

Back in the late 90s our goverment placed price caps on flu vacines. There where 12 companys making vacines then. A few years passed and along came a possible vacine need but by than there were only two (2) companys still in the busness....and a "Vacine Shortage"

Caps mean Companys go elsewhere to make money!!!!!!!!

What would u do if u worked for someone and they capped your wages and u wanted to make more money??????

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Addin to Olifins info on Ethanol

We pay approx. $2.40 in SUBSIDIES on Ethanol and are than Forced to buy it.(note: our goverment taxes $4 so it can spend $1 or 25 cents on the dollar)

Due to it people in 3rd world nations are going hungry and
    worse.

:tounge_out:

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    my opinion. its all our world right,. we all live here. ya. i agree. make a reasonable cap. if we run out then its all our problems. but making it un affordable. thats BS!. make it affordable till its gone.

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    To make it affordable all we need to do is up the present supply by drilling and refining here.

WE HAVE enough fossil fuels in the USA to supply 110% of our needs for over the next 500 years.

:eek:oooh:

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    And NO its not all our world.

Tell that to Opec, China Russia, Iran, etc., etc.

:tounge_out:

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    The funny thing about all this if there is a funny side, the americian public thinks 2 1/2gl. is cheap:eek:oooh: We're gettin the hose literally. I say cut off the food going oversees, or let them starve. I can walk but they can't drink gas. Dang good i'm not in a political position.:wink:

12. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I agree John, if these other countries want to play games we should play a few of our own.

13. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Yep we got to start hitting them where it hurts like they do us...I have told my kids in class for years you can't eat sand and oil and there is recourse if we would just STAND UP.

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Baitkiller, you're right. My father, who has been in the oil and gas business for 28 years, lives in North Dakota. Here recently he has stated that there has been a very substantial finding there in the Palermo/Stanley area of North Dakota. So large in fact that they say it is the largest finding in U.S history, they are even comparing it to the oil fields in Kuwait. I told him naturally that that was great news and made the statement that gas prices should go down. My dad stated that he doesn't believe that fuel prices will go down due to the fact that China is purchasing more and more.

Is that true?? I really have no idea, I am just listening to what I have heard from my dad, a man that has been in the business for many years. I don't know, I just wish that something could be done about these very high fuel prices.

15. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Cutting off food supplies will never happen. Putting a stop to any type of aid to other countries will never happen because it's all about the public and political relationships we have with ourselves and other countries thanks to the folks that become elected in this country. Kind of makes me wonder if our VOTE really counts. Most of the red blooded americans that have tried to make a REAL difference in this country have been killed or put out of office .......hmmmmm! Petrolium= politics and power.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    lol. well i didnt mean ours as in usa but humans. but ya. opec. there a country or at least a superpower.:angry:

17. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Same here. I'd starve em out, and when they were too weak to fight. I'd go plant my own flag. But thats why I'm not a politician. What's the deal with mexico? diesel is $2.40 a gallon. and people are bootlegging it. It's $4.95 and 87 octane unleaded is $4.09 here today! and it's not bad enough the high prices, we have our own local tax thats supposed to be $.05 per gallon. but it works out to be $.08 or $.09. we as americans need to do something to stand up for ourselves. or start drilling it ourselves. if we truly have the supply, we need to tap it. by the time we need more we'll be so far advanced in technology that gas engines will be recreational and relics.

18. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We really need to use what we have. Even nuclear power. Hey we should be building at least 40 more. A lot of power plants went from coal to natural gas. That costs everyone more to heat homes, less gas more cost.

If electric was cheap, you would see more people trying electric cars. I seen an article on some new foam battery's, new ideas.

New ideas will save this country, and letting us drill for our own oil. Those Arabs are biting the hand that feeds them. The pendulum will swing the other way, and they will regret this 130 dollar a barrel oil. Within a decade, if the price does not drop, we will be driving something else. I like the idea of an electric car or these new compressed air jobs.

I hope we all don't go bankrupt waiting for technology to save us.

Boy I'm glad I have a wood stove. gasoline prices kinda set the trend for natural gas and propane prices. Whats this coming winters heat bills going to be??????

I know I got off the subject. You cannot regulate price and expect there to be an unlimited supply. It does not work.

19. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    well if these things keep rising in cost wages is gonna have to go up to be able to afford fuel prices has raised everything by the time u pay ur bills and buy gas to go to work nothing left to buy food with so people aint gonna pay their bills so they can eat