Gas and Fishing.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fcrnnngbck25, Jun 25, 2008.

1. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Well it seems my summer has been nothing but a bit of a bummer to say the least. Allow me to elaborate a bit on what I mean. Last year me and my buddy John fished every single day of June. We were able to because gas wasn't that expensive and the weather was a lot nicer here. It's rained rained and rained. Now rain isn't always a bad thing but to me it is. I only fish rivers and we've had some major flooding. The reason I only fish rivers is because the closest pond worthy of even wetting a line is maybe 40-50 miles away. The way gas prices are it's just to far to drive and allow my mom enough gas to make to and from work. So my point is how as gas affected your fishing? Has it made you cut back on that honey hole from the past years? I'm sure i'm not in the boat by my lonesome. Guess I'm just saying is how are you guys holding up this summer.

2. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    It has made me cut my trips in half. The bad thing is I live on the lake and still can't afford it. All my money for gas is for my truck.

3. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Yeah I know a few relatives who are in that boat as well. It just sucks to remember all the fishing I got to get to last summer but the rains keeping me at bay with the river and the gas keeps me from the lake so its like hmm what to do.

4. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    gas hasnt affected my fishing as much as graduating college and busy tryin to find a job, but im sure once i get settled down and have time it will start to affect alot of my huntin this fall. i hope not tho,im lost if i cant fish or hunt:embarassed:

5. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    fuel prices have not affected my fishing at all. i am luck to be retired and can stay for weeks at a time at a fishing spot so i am not having to drive back and forth. i will say that i no longer eat out or spend money on junk i used to pick up all the time.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    gas prices have kept me away from the big river:angry: and im sure id go to the little one more if gas was cheep

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im lucky that my favorite lil pond is less than 5 miles from the house, also my hunting land. I havent made it to the Ohio River though, gas just costs too much. Its almost a shock now to see someone pulling a boat.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya. big time.

it was a lot to do with it. ive caught 1 channel and some bluegills to eat all season. my boat needed $100 in repairs. head gasket and impellor parts ect..

+$45 in regis, +$18 in trailer tags, + 20 gal fuel at $4 $80. i can buy catfish cheaper. and fun aint worth that cost. i go alot for freezor channels. and right now im just not gonna spend that kind of cash to go.

work has been a bit slow since feburary for me so i just aint had the extra cash. i dont want to use savings to get a boat running. its killing me.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea...it's killing us for sure. It literally costs double of what it did last year. We have cut all the corners we can.

Here are a few thing we do to save money :

We carpool

we catch all of our own Herring/shad

run only electric motors

buy cheap smokes and beer, lol

Pour my own weights

freeze water bottles for ice

buy all tackle in bulk

we stay out for at least 12 hrs...if possible

-Jim-

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    good tips. i to pour my own sinkers. been thinking of the trolling motor thing too. theres several ramps and good spots to fish that can be reached quickly with my 40lb thrust minn kota.

i already drink natural light. and quit smoking years ago. :smile2:

11. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    There's no doubt the price of gas has affected my fishin, now I try ta split the cost with my buddies....and as was stated earlier I try ta stay out longer also.....fishin to me is like a fix, I gotta have it.....:cool2:

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    With all this spare time ya should look for a small "JOB". This way ya can help with the gas expense.:wink:

13. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

Well, the bad thing is that gas is only going to go up, it will probably be $5 a gallon by next summer. Maybe instead of car companies building engines that make 300+ horsepower, they will concentrate on 60mpg. I believe in the late 80's Suzuki had a little car that got around 50+ mpg. Maybe they should bring it back.

In my opinion this country has never recovered from 9/11, It makes me sick that we allowed something like that to happen. Hopefully things will get better.
    :cool2:

14. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    So far I have not cut down on my fishing trips. I May use the current more and the trolling motor but me and the wife will continue to go fishing. This is the only thing that we spend money on for our own enjoyment. There isn't anything we would rather do than go fishing. What I guess I am trying to say is I will find a way to go FISHING!

15. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I go just as often if not more. I do keep the speed down and try to stay out later also:wink:. There are some things that a guy can do without and fishing ain't one of them.:big_smile:

16. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    I would if i had a vehicle. I live in the middle of no where 10 miles from civilization lol. But as many people have already stated, me and a friend I have been carpooling as well. We catch our own bait in the creek and use the cast net for suckers and shad. Sad thing is though, my location is getting more brutal as the years pass. I love living in small community and in the country but man it takes a toll on my passion.

17. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi

You'd think they would but apparently they feel that's a bad marketing tool. I guess the new 09 vette that tops out at 205 is more appealling than a car that runs 120 but gets 50+ mpg. Why would you even want to go that fast? I know we all like to get on our vehicles one in a while but i'd never see that kind of speed lmao. All we need now is a boat motor that runs on water :smile2:

18. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gas prices haven't really affected my local fishing. However the price of gas has cut my fishing trips way down. I used to take off and go down to Kentucky to do some camping, kayaking, and trout fishing several times a year. But now with the price of gas and the price of everything else going up I have only been able to afford to go once so far this year.

19. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Locally no.
    I am blessed with having 3 rivers to chose from right close. The Mud, the Guyandotte, and the Ohio, and two of them I drive right by to and from work.
    If I want to range just a bit farther, I have Beech Fork Lake, Twelve Pole Creek and the Big Sandy River.

20. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi

Nice. I'm hoping after I graduate this upcoming year I can get a place atleast near a river. Anything closer than my current location.