Gars and Catfish in the same holes?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by STUMPKNOCKER, Jun 11, 2006.

1. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Fishing the altamaha river yesterday, kept missing fish .figured wrong hook, i was using a 7/0 circle sea, switched hook finally hung one, the fight of my life got him up and it was about a four foot long gar, the rest of the day and night continued to lose fish to gars reeled up half of my bream, question is do flatheads and gars stay in the same holes or after a gar bites do i need to move? any advice is appreciated i am new to flatheads thanks.

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Around here, usually the channels and smaller blues are right behind the gars. They'll try to eat their eggs is what I heard. But it definately sounds like gar were biting your bait the whole time. It seems like the gar will hit it twice as fast as the cats. It gets annoying, but eventually I'll usually get a cat.

-Red

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Heres what I've been finding out lately.If you can find a hole where your bait sits there longer than about 30 minutes and no gar picks it up than theres more than likely a flathead there.I think the flatheads will run gar out of their holes.

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Carl, if I have a problem hooking fish more than five or six times and have proof that a gar is the culprit(like teeth marks on bait) I will move to another location. Eventually you should be able to find a hole that will hold more cats than gar, but you must be willing to move. Vern

5. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Buddy of mine used to work with our fisheries department. He's told me that several times while sampling/studying fish in the river, they would pull flatheads out of nets that had regurgitated gar in their mouths.

So as far as gar running flatheads out of an area...I don't think so. Seems to me like gar make long, skinny food for yellow cats....much like inhaling a hotdog.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    they feed in the same hole in our rivers.

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    LoL yep gars can be a problem and you should move if they start cause they will keep giving ya problems.and BTW welcome aboard on the BOC lots of great people here.

8. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    sounds like you got yourself a gar problem. well i cant say much else other than you should kill all the gars you catch. four foot long gar is a biggn too!

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    sounds like the you caught 4 ft worth of bait... Cut it up and use it as bait or even in really small pieces as chum...

10. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yea I believe that gar and flathead will feed the same area. If there's fish there then there feedin on bait.Sometimes if the gar are takin my bait I'll try fishin a foot or two deeper, some times it helps,if not i'll move.:eek:oooh: ur humble servant beartrap and buoy

11. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I kill all gar. A baseball bat does the best job. I catch about one gar for every 10 cats.

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I may be wrong but I like seeing gars where I'm fishing. I figure if a gar is hanging around there must be something there for him to eat like shad or other bait fish. If there is a supply of bait there I believe the catfish know it too.

ST

13. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
  14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Fishery biologists haven't found gar to be detrimental to any fishery. It makes no sense to kill them. Usually, if you getting mostly gar, it may be time to move. While both fishes may inhabit the same hole, maybe the gar are just more aggressive feeders that day/night.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The river I fish has tons of gar, so the flatheads have to coexist with them...Sometimes I cant even begin to use cutbait because of all the gar..In the past I have had up to 20 gar runs before finally catching a flathead out of the same spot.

16. LanceRomance

LanceRomance New Member

State:
    IL
    Ditto!! Make lemonade out of lemons!

17. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    You'll find "cats" anytime you find gar.... They have co-existed for sometime and neither has killed out the other. I used to kill all the gar we caught because we were told, a gar will move into a hole and eat all the fish, actually they move into a hole and eat all the fish the OTHER FISH don't eat, makes sense to me.

I don't kill turtles anymore because they to are part of that balance we (man) seems so convinced we can make better......No, I'm NOT a tree hugger, unless you count the time I was huggin a tree awful hard while I was climbing it to get away from that "old sow".........

Catch two gars and I move