Garmin GPS Help

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by flathead willie, Jun 6, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just got a Garmin Legend Etrex GPS (handheld) to find my way around the national forest in the dark. However I can't find any topo maps on it. How do I get them? Do I have to pay another $100 for them or are they available on the net? Can anyone help? Does anyone use one of these?

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I think you have to buy the maps. I have one and the only problem I have had with the handhelds is in dense woods. The trees will interfere with reception to the sats. and the unit will not work until you get to a thinner area to pickup sats. again. Keep this in mind before you go way out somewhere. They work well in the winter, but when there are leaves beware. Take a good compass with you!

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    according to the owners manual for my garmin etrax you can get them thru www.garmin.com along with the latest software updates throughout the life of my garmin product. since i have the basic etrax (the ugly yellow one) theres an adaptor i can buy to download gps coordinates from the web into my unit.

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I'll second that. You have a good gps but any gps will have issues in dense tree cover.
    The Mapsource Topo cd you want is about $100. I tried to "acquire" it from the net once but it was corrupt and never did work. The base map on it serves me just fine though.

5. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    They don't tell you when you buy the unit that you need to spend another $100 before you can use the thing. I'm looking for the topo maps because I do a lot of hunting in the 2.5 million acre Jefferson National Forest. It's easy to get turned around in these mountains. Finding the tree you scouted at 4:00am in the dark can be tricky.

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    try this: http://terraserver-usa.com
    morked for me gettin images of coordiance's
    Good luck!
    Here is my favorite fishin hole:
    Latitude 41 19.138
    Longitude 77 24.162

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got the identical unit for Xmas and haven't got it to work yet. Mine boots up with "No base map". I went to their website and tried to d/l and was told I didn't have d/l capabilities with that unit... HUH...? I went to the store (Gander Mountain) to get instructions and nobody knew squat. Maybe I'm just technically challenged.

8. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    I've got an Etrex legend that is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's saved my tail too many times to count. It comes loaded with a generic basemap with very little detail. If you want the topo maps, you'll have to buy Mapsource Topo for around a hundred bucks. I've got the topo maps and they are nice. Are they necessary, NO!!! But they are kind of nice to be able to see the lay of the land. If you have a general idea of the area, save your money and look at terraserver or topozone. The GPS topo maps don't have nearly as much detail.

9. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Can maps from topozone be loaded into the GPS or do I need Garmin maps?

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You will need a map program from Garmin. Go to their website and you can find some info on what your unit will handle, as well as the programs available for it. U.S. Recreational Lakes w/fishing hot spots is what I use for freshwater and land use; for saltwater I use BlueChart Americas. You down load them on your computer, then you can transfer data between the gps and computer.