Garmin 178C GPS/SONAR

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by JAYNC, Oct 8, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well after I brought my third Lowrance X-107 back to West Marine I decided I had enough with Lowrance or at least that model anyways. The Salesman at West Marine recommended that I try out the Garmin 178c gps/sonar with internal antenna. I got it and installed it. It was very easy to install. I got the transducer with 200/50khz speed and temp. Once I got the transducer on and all the wiring squared away, I turned it on and initialized the gps. Within a minute or two it was accurate to within 10 feet and had full WAAS signal and I live with trees all around me. This unit comes with a worldwide basemap which it pretty vaque but I also got the bluechart chip for my area. Once I loaded the bluechart I couldnt believe my eyes as to all the details it has on it. This unit has so many features that I could write about them for hours. I live on the coast so it will tell you the tides from all the different tide stations. Marking waypoints are very easy, it will tell you where all the wrecks are, bottom depths, marker bouys, I mean everything.The sonar is very strong too, it has 4000watts peak on the 50khz and like 3200 on the 200khz. You can easily see the screen in the brightest light and its easy to dim for night fishing.I would highly recommend this unit over anything else, for the money this gps/sonar is the best you can get in my opinion. Any more questions on this just pm me and I would be happy to answer any of them.

2. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Has anyone bought one of these yet, I just wanted to see how much other people like this unit. I have had mine for a few months now and to me its the perfect gps/sonar for the money.

3. mcal762

mcal762 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    hello,
    how was the charts on the 178c before you installed the Blue chart? i'm looking for detail charts for the James river in VA... I'm looking at the 187c and the Humminbird 787c2i. thanks,
    Mcal

4. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The map was ok, I mean you could tell where you were and things like that but with the blue chart you can see every depth, pile, wreck, every little detail. I got mine at west marine and it was worth every penny. It also has a lot of other features such as all the local marinas with their phone numbers, if they have gas,their hours, restaurants, you name it and it has the information. Say you put in a waypoint for a certain location, you could go to a screen and it will tell you all the nearest marinas, restaurants, sea tow. Every kind of information is available.The bluechart I have was preloaded and has coverage from norfolk all the way to charlston sc and like 70 miles offshore, and about 25-30 miles inland. It has a lot of information. In my opinion is is one of the best gps/sonars out there. I know a lot of people on this site swear by lowrance but I have had a lot of problems with them, and there are forums and reviews out there that will agree with me. Lowrance makes good sonars, if you can keep the water out of them, but when it comes to GPS they are way behind Garmin IMHO.