Garmin 160

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by RiverKing, Oct 15, 2007.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Does anyone have this dag on fish finder?? It was brand new on the new boat I bought,and I really dont want to buy a new one but I cant get arches to show up when I turn the fish ID off..I always thought that if you have the fish ID on, it shows fish symbols, but when you have it off, it shows arches...When the fish id is on, it shows a ton of fish, but i heard that anything it picks up in the water will show up as a fish even if it isnt..I always heard the arches are actuall fish.Can someone help me out on this. The owners manual shows arches in the diagrams, but it doesnt say how to set the finder to show arches.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Come on guys, dont be shy, I know someone has this unit.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Not too familar with a 160 but should just be turning off fish Id/symbols. We had one stuck in the simulator mode. Does it show a S on the bottom left of the screen. Dumb question I know but Jim and I just had one do that on the trolling motor.

Could just be something else you need to change in the menu. Hope someone else can help.

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Matt just pulled a 160 off trolling motor, havn't run it in a year or so, I don't think they have arches went through that a few years back will get manuel, and look this afternoon. and get back to you,
    Jim

5. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I would appreciate it Jim...Now is it true that the fish symbols that are showing may be debris or anything else in the water, or are they actually fish?

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Matt, I'am going to walk softley here, Lot of experts around that can help you more than I can. sonar sends out echos or ping like old sub moves as a idea, so a turtle or stick can send singal back.
    Ok manual go set up menu press set up button chart will come up, up &down button will move scroll. right arrow will access the select field. left arrow will take you back.
    should show fish symbols, off and 4 fish symbols to choose, try off for arches.
    her is Garmin #913 397 8200 should hook you up with a manuel, just have to go play with it.
    hope this helps
    Jim

7. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    this is probably not the place but i am having problems with a hand held gps does anybody know about this would leave me a messaqge on my pm. thanks sam davis

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I would have to think this unit will show arches, as that is a function of the shape of the sonar cone.

When you're running in fish symbol mode, debris in the water may show up as fish. I would rather be able to make my own interpretation as to what I'm looking at below the boat, as opposed to the computer telling me.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
  10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I have a Garmin 240 (which I hope to replace with a Lowrance X135 real quick), and with Fish Symbol selected almost any structure on the bottom shows up as fish. With Fish Symbol off, arches do show up; they're more clearly defined when suspended off of the bottom. When close to the bottom they are more difficult to discern, expecially in/around structure. It took me quite some time to start to tell the difference between structure & fish, but the more you're on the water the easier it becomes. IMO, the Garmin is best used to locate structure, contour & water depth. I"m not sure about the 160, but the 240 only has 3200 watts peak-to-peak power, while most of the more expensive kind have at least 4000 watts. I believe that the extra power makes it possible for the units to better identify fish vs. structure.

11. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Yeah the 160 is also 3200 watts peak to peak power. I want to get one of the humminbird side imaging finders..:roll_eyes: Better start saving.