Garlic Shrimp

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by uapipefitter, Jun 4, 2008.

1. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Last night I pulled twenty, peel and eat shrimp out of the freezer and then covered them in garlic powder. They sat for four hours before I used them. Had none stop action all night, and man everytime I reeled in to check bait I could still smell the garlic on the shrimp.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Definitely some good bait for sure. Have had good luck like that and regular uncooked/unpeeled(that I peeled myself) and cooked shrimp. My buddy made some with Anise oil. Not sure if he caught any or not but I still have some in my freezer that I plan on using.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats a great bait for channels, I use it all the time.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Trent I agree with you on Garlic Shrimp. A great bait that will catch them. Works good when drifting also.

5. 70sdiver

70sdiver New Member

State:
    washington
    i never tried garlic shrimp fpr catfish but ill be getting some ready!!!

6. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    congrats on your catch man, next time try crushed garlic, works wonders for me with livers and shrimp:smile2:

7. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    The shrimp is good to roast over a campfire when the fish aint biting too:tounge_out:

8. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like your thinking John! One for the hook one for me :smile2:!

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dan Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Once you try the garlic shrimp you will always carry some on your catfishng trips. I keep some made up in zip lock bags. Use lots of garlic and give it time to soak in.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

10. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Mickey, I see where you said use a lot of garlic, would fresh or chopped be to strong or better than, the garlic salt.
    Also does it work on blues or just channels and whats the largest you have caught. I know to many questions, but I hold you to the guru statice in manufactored baits and straight shooter,.
    Thanks
    Jim

11. jkim546

jkim546 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    This is a great topic guys. I always get the most bites when im using shrimp, but will definitely sprinkle on some garlic.

Thanks!

12. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    Tried it out, and It deffinately seems like it would be effective if that was what the channels around the area were into, but that don't seem to be biting on anything i throw out there.

I do find, however, if I use a couple varieties of garlics (garlic salt, dried minced garlic, fresh garlic) it gives it a much stronger smell over using any single kind.

13. Bedford3

Bedford3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I released over 200 blues channels and a few shovel heads in my 1 acre pond they won't bite? Pond is over 18ft deep I'm sure there alive see them rolling! Have caught a few and there fat as pigs. Are they just eating all the bluegill and not hungry?

14. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Welcome to the board and if you think they are filling up on the Gills why not try throwing a live one on a hook out there. Flatheads mainly eat live bait anyway. Where ya at in Ky ??

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    you will get better responses if you start a new thread. this thread is 4 years old. start on in say the catfishing baits section. it will get more views. that a lot of fish in a small pond. do you feed them pond food? might think about it. they will wipe out the fry of all other fish. but i agree. if these bluegill in it and your not feeding them thats most likely what there eating.

16. wormybass3

wormybass3 New Member

State:
    pinson, alabama
    i have caught channel cats and stripe with shrimp. havent tried with garlic. i use garlic when bass fishing though.