Garlic Oil for catfish bait - Where can it be located?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Gordhawk, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Can someone help me locate some garlic oil? I use it to thin my Sonny's stink bait when it's cool. I live in southeast Iowa & can't seem to locate any now. The last I bought I found at Big Lots,but they very rarely ever restock an item. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Gordhawk

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you can't find it, try using a mixture of peanut oil and garlic juice. Both are usually available in the grocery store.

3. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    You might try garlic flavored olive oil. It might work for you.

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks guys for your input.Jerry, do you know what the ratio of peanut oil to garlic juice would be? I don't think I've ever seen garlic juice in the supermarkets around where I live. I'll have to look closer next time I go to the market shopping. Thanks,Gordhawk

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't use it for anything, but I've definitely seen little squeeze bottles of garlic juice in some stores. How much? I really couldn't say. But I'd keep adding garlic till the garlic smell was extremely strong. When I put garlic powder on chicken livers for curing, I put enough on that it would make them inedible.

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have used the stuff for years. Its really strong. I find it at both Dillon(Kroger) and wallyworld. A little goes along ways, believe me. I use it when I make party mix instead of powder. Its so much stronger that I would mix it slowly till you get the intensity you desire.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Peanut oil, or olive oil. Well, I've seen a number of posts indicating that catfish are attracted to peanuts and peanut butter; don't remember ever reading a post about them being attracted to olives.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hey jtrew, it's them Italian Catfish that are partial to olive oil. Figure that. lol

9. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    LOL...They also like;spaghetti, linguine,and spicy spicy meatballs.
    Garlic flavored olive oil will give him the garlic flavor he wants and help with the cold whether consistency that he needs.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sounds reasonable. For those that don't know, the proper way to cook those Italian catfish is to mix cornmeal and grated parmesan cheese 50/50 and roll your fillet in that before cooking. If you prefer to use some other hard grated cheese instead of parmesan, that will work just fine.

11. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Why not use garlic butter. To know what im talking about goto google and do a search.

12. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    And all this time I thought Popeye was partial to Olive Oyl! Thanks for setting me straight on that Lawrence......LOL!:p

13. greenwing7

greenwing7 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    if its not on e-bay, it doesn't exist

14. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Why not make your own garlic oil? Take cooking oil "Your choice" & add fresh garlic cloves to the oil,heat it slowly until the garlic starts to release it's oil,you want it to get good and warm not boiling. Let cool then pour into a glass bottle leave the garlic cloves in the oil,it will last forever and is much cheaper then buying garlic oil. I made tons of it when I was a cook years back.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    RamRod, you use the olive oil to eat with sardines. Open a can of sardines and dump them into a shallow bowl. Pour about a quarter cup of olive oil over them. Put cheese and white bread alongside the bowl of sardines. Now, fold a slice of bread in half and dunk it in the olive oil; take a small bite of sardine, a small bite of cheese, and a small bite of the oil-soaked bread. Enjoy. Yum, yum! Breakfast of Champions!

16. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Swampy,
    How many cloves of garlic would you put in a gallon of oil? Also you said to just get the oil good & hot,not boil it,right? Thanks alot for the info,sounds like a good way for me to get some garlic oil at a lot cheaper price than the premixed garlic oil. Thanks again, Gordhawk

17. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks alot to all of you fine fishermen for your input on the garlic oil for catfish bait. Gordhawk

18. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Well it depends on how strong you want the oil to be. I used 3-4 bulbs depending on size per qt. of oil for cooking. You probably want it stronger for mixing with bait. The good thing about making your own like this is that you can make it as strong or as mild as you want. You want to get it hot,but do not fry the garlic.

19. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Swampy,
    Thanks for the advice on making my own garlic oil. I'm going to give it a try and see how it comes out.
    Gordhawk

20. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Your Welcome Bro......