Garlic Hotdogs

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by catfishparadise, Feb 4, 2008.

1. catfishparadise

catfishparadise New Member

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Worked pretty good actually, especially for smaller lakes and such. Really simple to make too.
    Just by some cheap hotdogs and cut them the size you want and mix them with garlic powder and let them sit for however long you feel and there you go. A easy bait to make when you are running short on other baits or money in general.

2. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    thx for the info, but i got a question.. you say u mix it with garlic powder?? just like cake the outside of the dog with it or what???

3. zach93

zach93 New Member

State:
    california
    Seems like a great idea.
    Thanks,
    Zach

4. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    two words vienna sausages best thing ever invented for a true fishing boat. Get hungry have a snack. run out of bait put one on. easy to store on the boat, lasts a long time. They even make different flavors like bbq, may even have garlic. Most catfishermen carry garlic on the boat anyway sprinkle a little on em and their you go catfish bait.

5. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Yeah after you cut them up put them in a bowl and pour however much you think you need and then close the bowl and shake it covering the dogs with the powder...do you understand now???

6. gone fish'n

gone fish'n New Member

State:
    nebraska
    i'm going to make some up tomorrow and freeze it for this sping thanks for the info

7. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Is this a bait for channels?

8. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Well that is the only thing i have caught on it so i guess yeah

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    My wife uses garlic dogs all the time. She cuts'em in tiny pieces and puts it on a # 8 long shank hook. Then she takes the bluegills she catches and uses them for catfish bait !!!

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
  11. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    yup i get it, thx jacob

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    NEVER TRYED GARLIC WEENIES

13. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    haha you should, they work pretty good for lakes and creeks

14. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    should you step on one end of the hot dog to give it that mashed wounded look or simply fish with it regular shape to give it that dead floating look?

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    WEENIES-R=US I will try them in my lake ! :wink:

16. silver_dollar

silver_dollar New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I saw this with my own eyes.....

Me and Eddy Hankins were scouting out a community lake in the northern part of Texas. We did not have fishing tackle, just walking around the lake with our wives.

Eddy found a tree limb pole that was rigged with a 1 ought hook and about 20 pound test mono....it was seemingly discarded. Eddy picked it up and carried it with us as we skirted the lake's shoreline.

We came upon a picnic table and there were remnants of a weiner roast with pieces of bread and hot dog remnants scattered about. Eddy spied a piece of charred hot dog and pinched off a two inch length, impaling it on the hook.

I told him that he was not going to catch anything with that rig! Undaunted, Eddy waded out into the water about waist deep and flipped the hot dog baited hook into the lake. I just scoffed and started looking at a honey bee swarm that was building a hive in a hollow hackberry tree.

About a minute or two went by and I heard a commotion! It was Eddy, hooked fast to something that had the tree limb bent double! A minute more and Eddy dragged out a flopping 9 pound channel cat!

Eddy has never let me live down the fact that I made light of his fishing expertise when he first flung that hot dog baited rig into the water!

Eddy is a good old boy.

Harland

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lord I hope ryang don't see this thread. I was thinking we have him heading in the right direction..now comes gourmet baits!!! lol:smile2: rollo

18. avman63

avman63 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Seems to me that if you mix the garlic with some hot water and then add to hot dogs it would act as a marinade and soak into the hot dogs. Just a guess haven't tried it.

19. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've used garlic dogs for years, they have produced many cats and i found that old bratwurst work great too, i think because of all the oil and fats in the meat. Last summer i took an old pack and slightly cooked them on my little grill and chopped them all up and stuck them in a container, caught channels all night on them as fast as i could get the line back in the water...

20. ouachita

ouachita New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've never tried them but have heard the red weiners work the best. Those are usually the cheap ones too!