Garlic Cured Chicken Livers W/Pics

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Matt Hardbarger(Teaysvalleyguy) on June 19, 2004

I know there are a ton of people that ask how to cure liver, I took some pics today of how I do it. There is no wrong way I am sure and I ran out of daylight as mine needed to sit out a little longer. I will get them back out tomorrow when it heats up. Here are a few pics just as a heads up. I bought 8#'s to cure but only got to 2#'s of it.

Went to local store today and got the items needed. 8#'s of Chicken Liver, 2 Tubs of Salt, 3 Containers of Garlic Powder.

[​IMG]

Got out my cutting board and dumped the liver into the drain tray, then I pull em out and cut into pieces. I save the blood to chum when I hit the hole. Put a plate underneath and throw into a container. Also add salt and Garlic Powder to the blood.

[​IMG]

I coat my liver Heavy with Garlic Powder First and then Heavy with Salt!! I have never had too much I dont think. It helps preserve it which makes it last longer.

[​IMG]

I set it out in the sun for 3 hours today and then flipped, recoated the other side and let it set out for another 2 hours until dark.

[​IMG]

It is almost done, you can see by the browning of the edges of the liver that is is starting to toughen up and cure.

[​IMG]

I am not saying this is the only way to do it this is just how I do it and it works fine for me. Last alot longer in the fridge and them kitties love it. Just wanted to post some pics as I know alot of people have questions.