Gardner Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by LBM, Aug 6, 2008.

1. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Fished Gardner the first time this year. Finally caught my first one greater than 10 pounds for CPR. After taking his picture on the scale I forgot to get his picture in the whole before releasing him.

[​IMG]

Caught my first albino channel this morning. I would say its albino even though it didn't seem to have pink eyes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caught 10 total running from 17 inches to 12+ pounds.

Kept these two for supper. The larger was 7.7 pounds.

[​IMG]

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    good day ya had there !! that albino is cool. all the ones ive ever seen have been around that size or smaller. do they develop color finally when they get bigger or does the lack of color/camo make them easy prey ??

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS

From The Bank There Are Only A Few Spots As People Live On The Lake And You Have To Have Permission To Fish There Land. The Lake Is About Like Olathe The Fish Eat The Same Normally We Use Bluegill For The Bigger Channels Some People Say There Are Flats In Their I Have Never Seen One. Only Need A State License To Fish There:smile2:. Hope This Helps.

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Nice Fish There Lee, Congrats:smile2: Was The Feeder Full Or Did You Even Notice?? It Has Been Empty For A While Now. Lee What Bait Were You Using?.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Congrats on the nice channels Lee. Also on the albino. They are a rare treat.

6. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    The feeder was full and operational. The solar panel on the feeder was broken earlier, probably by an errant weight cast towards the feeder.

I was using cut bait I had caught at the lake.

Just for information the road across the spillway is closed so access to the ramp must be made using the road from the west across the dam.

7. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Thanks Lee When I Was Out There The Lid Was Off Then About A Week Later It Was Back On And It Still Was Not Working. At The End Of June It Was Just Spittin A Little Food Out At A Time.

8. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    A friend had taken his grandson out there at that time and told me about the lid being off the feeder laying on the floats.

I emailed Dave Spalsbury the KDWP Fishery Biologist for that lake and informed him about the lid being off the feeder hopper. He was very appreciative of the info and was glad the lid didn't end up in Davey Jones's Locker and told me about the solar panel needing replaced.

9. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    nice fish Lee.Is that lake open all night to boats? I'm really good at catchin green sunfish/bluegill there though they usually end up in my frying pan not the bait bucket:big_smile: Only tried cats there for about 2 hours in the middle of the day.Caught 5 by the feeder biggest was 4 lbs... not very good for throwing chum.

10. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    I don't really know for sure about boats but some shore fishers I've seen there indicated they had been there all night. There is no gate to the ramp so I'm guessing one could put their boat out and fish all night.

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yes Eric it is. Ive done it. Those fish stay real deep in the daytime. Chum in the evening or at night and you can hit em good. We'll go sometime. :big_smile: