Gardner lake tonight

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by boombalaty, Jun 8, 2009.

1. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think im gonna head out to gardner for a little while in just a few min. If anyone cares to join me ill either be near the feeder or on the south end:wink:

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    ill be out for a few hours unless they are really biting. ill be in a red s-10

3. Mosquito Bait

Mosquito Bait New Member

State:
    Gardner, Kansas
    Any luck out there last night?

4. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Tons of bites but no real takers:angry:. I just dont get it. I tried everything, liver, cut gills, and even Sonny's. They kept running with it and when I go to set the hook.....nothing.

5. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Did you try Shrimp or fresh cut shad?

6. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    no shrimp this time:sad2:. I still dont have a net so no shad either. I usually have shrimp when I go but not last night.

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    you going tonight Matt ?

8. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Not tonight. We may head out there tomorrow after the wife gets off work around 4 or so.

9. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If you want the cats at Gardner cut shad seems to be the best bet. Although up until this year we used to catch alot of catfish there. But now they have disappeared. LOL

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    You know where they are Geoff, right in the middle of a tortilla with salsa all over them. :angry:

11. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    bwahhhhahahahahaha:smile2:. I just cant make myself try a fish taco!

12. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Exactly :sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2:
    Used to be the best lake for big channels. I kept my big trap shut but it didn't do any good. :sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2:

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Geoff, there is nothing we can do about it. Even a lucky illegal with a spool of 20 lb. omniflex, a hook, and a piece of shrimp can catch a 10+ lb. channel occasionally. After they tell all there cousins, thats when all the big channels start disappearing. Gardner should have stayed with the city permit. Woodson, is on its way, and its not even the illegals fault. Its the country boys down there keeping all the big ones. While down there a couple of weeks ago, I watched a dad, mom, and son, keep channel after channel, I know they had at least 10, way more than 6. One had to of gone 15 lbs. and another was around 9 lbs. It was the same guy that told me that him and his brother caught 4 fish between 25-30 lbs. and kept all of them. Until the KDWP puts stricter limits, and more officers out and about, it will continue to happen. These hillbillies think that it is a bottomless pit of big channels. They'll run out eventually like Wyandotte and Leavenworth, then theyll see the error in their ways, or maybe not. Im sure these raped SFL's have some big ones left, just few and far between. My state record channel cat search is about to shift to 10 counties and 200 miles away from Woodson. :wink:

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    True Troy, true. I have nothing against the illegals, except that I see them park their vehicles where a passing cop or ranger cant see them. Therefore I know they dont have a fishing license. I see them throw their trash down all the time at Olathe Lake. I see them sit on the feeder at Gardner and fish straight down with a spool of line, they dont even spend the money on a rod and reel. I see them keep numerous cats over the limits, and when the creeks are swollen and rollin hard I see them throwing a cast net and keeping all the fish they catch. The sad thing is , they are only up here for as many years as it takes to save enough money to go back to where they came from and start a business. Hence the reason they dont buy rods and reels, and they poach fish. They save all their money, and want to go the cheapest rout to get a meal. They dont put hardly any money into the community, yet we open the borders for them to flood in. With the conditions down there, I really cant blame them. I just wish they would stop in Texas, instead of coming this far north. As for the hillbillies, I take it they dont have alot of money either, but I do think most of them have a fishing license, which does entitle them to keep big channels, but I know alot of them dont follow the limits. Its a bad deal all around. I think the best thing we can do is to lobby our Kansas Legislature and fight for more funding for our Wildlife and Parks Depts, to get more officers and more money to ensure these trophie fisheries arent raped anymore. :sad2:

15. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Keith have you or any others fished gardner lake with crawdads? I remember catching alot of good channels with em years ago.

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Never have with crawdads.

17. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Troy there are a bunch under the bridge at Olathe. You could try there.

18. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Well I am heading out to gardner to fish the spillway (closed road) if anyones heading out come by and say hi. Rain should hold off until 11pm or so:smile2::wink:

19. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Cant just hook one big one huh Shelby? Good luck tonight man!!:wink:

20. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Hey Troy there's a park by comanche school with a creek running through it. I used to catch a bunch of crawdads there...with a butterfly type net.