Gardner Fishmarket Opened Up Today

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by LBM, Sep 23, 2008.

1. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Two of us fished Gardner today from daylight to 10 am pretty much catching fish all morning. The backseater caught all the big fish and I kept the smaller ones away from his hook.:wink:

The boats 10 pound rule was invoked twice by him with a couple of 12 pounders and he took a 9 pounder home as part of his limit of two fish.

His first fish.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

His second fish.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally a fish that he could keep.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My two fish showing the hook I found in the bottom of the boat after placing a 6 pounder in the livewell. Apparently this hook came off of this fish after weighing him. I didn't notice the sore on him until I got him home which I'm assuming is where this large hook came out of.
    [​IMG]

While fishing there this morning I couldn't resist taking a picture of this rather ugly duck that was hanging around with us.
    [​IMG]

We sure had a good outing and I'll probably have to quit taking this fellow along since he caught all the big fish.:smile2::wink:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Great Trip Lee! Those are some real nice channels and one UGLY duck.:smile2: Thanks for the pics.

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Lee, your fishing friend is a man after my own heart, I've a 10lb rule on the Catoon too:smile2:.
    Your "ugly duck" kind of looks like an Eider Duck whose head is moulting(?):roll_eyes::smile2:
    Thanks for the great pic's.

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Lee them are some nice healty looking cats.I love that dark color on them.

How deep were you catching them.

I agree with Jim, looks like a Eider but to small.Longest legs i have ever seen on a duck.I been a waterfolwer since i was a kid but I tell you I dont know what he is but he for sure is a crossbred..:smile2:
    He should be took out of the breading stock i tell you that.:wink:

5. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Tom

It was probably 26 - 28 ft. When we first started out we were just letting the circle hook and cut bait just flutter down the water column. Later on we added a small split shot to get the bait to the bottom sooner.

We were both using 10 ft crappie rods and just flipping the bait around the feeder and letting it settle to the bottom and letting it set for a bit reeling it back in and flipping it back in again around the feeder. We were never anchored while fishing.

Gardner has really good looking water and really healthy fish there. Those fish all fight like they think they are much larger fish than they actually are and its just an absolute hoot catching them on the long rods.

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Congrats on you guy's trip out. Those are some healthy channels. As for the ugly duck, it looks like an eider mallard cross.:eek:oooh:

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks Lee..

Them long rods are a hoot.I use 8' B&M's with dip bait and we have a blast catching cats during the summer months.

Again nice fish..

8. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Congrats Lee On A Great Trip To Gardner Lake I Have Only Caught One Fish Over 13 Pounds This Year There And I Don't Know Why That Lake I Used To Catch Over 50 In A Year Just This Year Has Been Weird They Need To Start Biting When I Am There.

Thanks For The Story And The Pics Lee.

9. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    What you say about Gardner is what I think about Louisburg. Back when Louisburg had two feeders I was able to catch several over ten pounds each year and a few at 15 plus over the years. The last couple years down there hasen't been that great at all for me.

The day before we went to Gardner we had gone to Louisburg and was able to catch a mess of channel but none were memorable with the largest at 20 -21 inches long.

10. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    good job Lee on finding the kitties this time of year.They've been getting more scarce for me.Is the feeder still running out there ?...I know the KDWp fishing report says they have been pulling them out already.I don't seem to have as much luck on those feeders that are in deeper water {over 15 feet}. I might have to try that free fall with no weight and a circle hook.Can't use liver for that probably sink like a rock.Caught 22 crappies Monday in a farm pond with my dad.He was using minnows and only caught 2 small crappies but he caught 20 4" bass. I was using a 1/32 oz roadrunner with glitter nibbles on a 11' wally marshall crappie rod. I was kicking his butt.Are they biting yet on the big lakes?

11. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Eric

The one at Gardner is still running and the site glass was full of feed.

I had ask the biologist when was the last time they were going to fill the feeder at Louisburg and Gardner and his reply today is as follows

(Lee,
    I still have some fish food on hand and I would guess we will continue to run both feeders for two or three more weeks.
    David S. Spalsbury
    Kansas City District Fisheries Biologist
    Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks
    14639 W. 95th St.
    Lenexa, KS 66215
    (913)-894-9113 ext. 15
    daves@wp.state.ks.us)

He really didn't answer the specific question that I ask but I still have and idea how long to expect them to be operational.

As for the crappie the last time out for me was at Perry on the 15th and I only managed three legals.

I just got my trolling motor back out of the shop on the 19th and was anxious to do more checking on the crappie but felt like I needed to get stocked up on a few more packages of channel filets to tide me over the winter since I really hadn't been hitting the whiskered fish that much this summer. My season for channel will be over once the feeders are empty and at that time it will be full time crappie till the feeders fire up next season.

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Finally broke my slump. Guess I gotta get outta the house to do that. Ive been so busy with organizing all my stuff around the house, and getting the baby stuff ready, and fixing up the spare bedroom for my mom, that I havent had time. So last night I got a wild hair and called a buddy and went out to Gardner about midnight. Stayed until 3 am. Nonstop action. Took 4 buckets of livers, and used them all. Biggest fish was 6 lbs. caught over 25 , quit counting. Most of them were 2-4 lbs. My buddy that went with me got too anxious and missed about 15 fish, he ended up with 3, biggest for him was 4 lbs. I kept hoping I would get a 10+ lb. fish (picture worthy for me) but he never came. My buddy did hook one that took him into the feeder cables, and it pulled drag like crazy. He never came free, so he just broke it off. Lee, thanks for the info on the feeder, I probably wouldnt of went if it wasnt for your info. I had fun. I wont know if Im gonna fish tomorrow night or not, until late tomorrow night. Ive gotta wait for my mom to get into town, and get her settled in. I hope to hit the Kaw tomorrow night. Good luck fishing this weekend to all my Kansas brothers. :big_smile:

13. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Right on Keith.
    Thats how you make a comeback.:wink:
    Congrats!

14. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Nice job Keith.Were you on the bank by the feeder or out in a boat? Fishing on the bottom or with floats? Glad to hear you could get away for a few hours. I'm gonna be river fishing the next few weeks maybe I can sneak you out for an evening

15. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    WTG Keith glad you had a good time catching. Those fish out there sure lead a treacherous existence out there with all the sharp hooks they must contend with.

I was out there this morning and only managed 13 total with 10 legal. A couple of 22 inchers was the largest I caught. I just wonder how many more I would have caught if a couple of folks hadn't been out there sore mouthing all those fish just hours earlier.:smile2::wink: Just jesting there and happy to read your good reports because I certianly had a good time out there enjoying the morning.

16. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Keith good job on catching channels...See it aint so bad catching them guys.Dont alwas have to be a BIG hog to make a guy happy.

Nice to see you on here i was wondering where you were at.

17. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I wish I had a nice little lake close to home where I could go and catch a bunch of channels. They arent real thick in my rivers so I am lucky with one or two.:sad2::smile2:

18. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Just hang on until Milford.We will hammer them in late Oct.

19. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Two of us caught 11 legal fish and 1 short fish today at Gardner. I was out fished again today 11 to 5 fish in numbers and size. Shouldn't complain but I am a fisherman.:wink:

It was much easier today to pry his white knuckled grip loose to release this 12 pounder than it was last week to get him to release those two CPR's he caught. I'm not sure what it will be like next time to get his grip to release his next CPR fish. :smile2::wink:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/PB-LBM/Fishing/IMG_0269.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/PB-LBM/Fishing/IMG_0270.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/PB-LBM/Fishing/IMG_0271.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/PB-LBM/Fishing/IMG_0272.jpg

20. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Looks and sounds like you guys are having a blast.

Nice picture's Lee.